What should i have on my master channel while making a track?

A stereo widener during mixing or mastering? :/ Isn't it really dangerous to have a widener during mixing?

I will not activate it DURING the mixing. Something I tinker with after I feel my mix is nice, to see if it improves anything. Sometimes I use it, sometimes I don't. However, all my templates have it on the master channel "just in case".

Like I said, whether it's right or wrong, OP asked what we do. ::shrug::

its best to have absolutely NOTHING on your master channel with some exceptions that will only be acceptable coming from experienced mix engineers.
When I master songs I literally will only accept mixes that have minimal use of a bus compressor and in a lot cases I will have the client remove it because I will be applying some form of compression during the mastering stage in a lot of cases to achieve that glue they are aiming for.

On a side note add whatever you feel if you will not be hiring someone to professionally master your music but if you are going to do things in the proper order of music production then leave your master channel empty and leave a good amount of headroom without having to use a compressor for volume control of the entire mix, which all can be done with the faders on your mixer. :))

Back