What should I do next?

klmartin

Background Info-I took a Reason class. I did not realize I needed to know how to use a synth. Long story short, I have
an unfinished song my teacher helped me start that is too good not to develop into a song. I took the class over a year ago and
forgot how to export although I know how to export/import in Studio One 2-Producer. I have Reason Motif ES NNXT samples I want
to use also.

Should I
Option 1-Go to the studio and have them take the Reason file and turn it into a CD, and try to learn from watching them so I can export myself. Take the CD and import into Studio One. I could chop up what I have and use it to make intro,verse, chorus, etc. So I am talking about using Studio One for mixing.

Option 2-Should I wait until I learn to use my Automapped MIDI controller with Ableton and then use my controller
with Reason since Ableton and Impulse work seamlessly.

Thanks for your advice. Some direction is critical.

(Optional-My chance to kick around possibilities as I plan: I recorded over four out of seven tracks of my EP in the studio already but after taking five months of DAW classes over two or three years, I want to add violin samples to one or two tracks-which replaces percussions? and create percusssions for one track so that the drums are unique-intro,verse, chorus. My recording studio records what I bring and my digital drum man is busy gigging. I know this is ambitious on my part but I am not trying to do it all. If I take my Print Music version of one or two songs with violin to the studio with violin samples-could that be an all day session?)

Anything can be an all-day or multi-day session for even an experienced studio musician/producer (the unexpected often crops-up and you should always plan to spend at least three times as many man-hours as you initially anticipate). So much more so for the neophyte. Whatever you decide, _do_ continue working steadily towards your goals, but you may want to enlist the (more expensive, but more expedient) help of others until you really feel comfortable with your rig...

GJ

Exporting is in the file menu of every daw.
I use reason and studio one also, with reaper on the side.

Synthesizers are one of the building blocks of edm. Rewiring reason into studio one makes everything less of a hassle and using reaper as a clip/pattern mode is also a nice little thing.

Studio one has a manual for versions 1,2 and 3[I use 3 now] that explain all of that. Some things aren't in manuals though.

I made some progress today. I was able to get hook up the MM6 in Reason so I could hear it. I spent big bucks for the Reason class and the software. I knew at some point I would make progress in Reason again. For me though I need to keep this streak of progress going. I know it is easier to use the keyboard than using the editor to finish a loop that could be sliced if necessary later. I did learn a lot in the Reason class that I can still apply. For what I want to do which is get three songs recorded so that the drums are sculpted for intro, verse and chorus for every song I record and add some violin to an almost classical sounding piece that is a sound composition. One of the three has already been recorded but the intro is too long so maybe a remix can fix that. I like the suggestion you gave about using Rewire to bring Reason into Studio One. I did not know you could do that. I know Ableton can. Thanks!

That is true! I have used youtube. What I find though it that sometimes the example given is non-specific or
does not match my set up enough to get the same results. I agree with you to a large degree. I
am finding for me that I am making progress from three main sources. Hands on with manuals coupled with
tutorials or classes some of which are free or inexpensive, and specific help and yes encouragement from forums. For me
I needed the classes because I had to use the knowledge whereas tutorials encourage you to use the knowledge
classes force you to. Some of us need a little kick in the pants.

I have been dabbling long enough. It is time for me to produce music that reflects my online preparation, whether from youtube or
elsewhere. The main thing for me is that I get results soon, because I am no spring chicken.

P.S. Results to me is putting a song out that gets some attention from a decent number of people. For me that
would be a couple hundred.

Back