what settings/effect shoul i use to make my vocals sound professional in fl studio 9?

darrien

A-Malek
so im just recording some raps over instrumentals right now, and just wanted to know how to get that professional quality out of my vocals, and the over all finished product.. like what should i use to make the vocals nice clean and crip, what levels should they be at to mix nice, and what level should the instrumental be at so its not too loud?.. im currently using fl studio 9 now, but i do have audacity and cubase 5. any tips and help would be appreciated..View attachment prisoner.mp3

re: post of the mp3

alright i tried to upload it again, tell me if it works, when i tried it the first time i had to download it..

Attachments

• prisoner.mp3
    5.3 MB · Views: 601
Your vocals are too loud in the mix, there is too much high end (too much sybillance in the vocals) on it, and not enough low end. You seem to have some overdubs on certain words which are panned the same as the vocal it sounds like - it would do better to pan them more left or right (if you have 2 overdubs, try placing them equally spaced L-R like 50R 50L or something like that (out of 100 for each channel) - if you only have one, you can use the Haas principle and double the track, put 25ms delay on one of them, and pan them hard left and hard right for a stereo effect. This is for the 1st rapper....as I listen now I hear 2....

it sounds almost like the opposite on the 2nd guy....too much bass not enough high end....

If you'd like, you can pass me the .wav files for each track of your multitrack and I can try mixing and mastering it to show you what I mean....

Did you or someone you know make this beat or did you just download it somewhere (all the backing tracks) - reason I ask is because I feel like they could also use a major improvement in the mixing.

It's a good song but it just needs work on the recorded material to make it sound a lot better.

Last edited:
eh thanks for the help/critizism

but yeah i know it needs alot of work, cause im doin all this all by myself, with little to no experience, im only 18, but yeah im the first guy rapping and my homie is the second, but the beat is from aotp (prisoner) you can check them out on youtube but its their beat we just downloaded it to rap over. but did you want me to email you the beat, then just my raw recording then my friends raw recording? so youll be gettin 3 different files.

but yeah i know it needs alot of work, cause im doin all this all by myself, with little to no experience, im only 18, but yeah im the first guy rapping and my homie is the second, but the beat is from aotp (prisoner) you can check them out on youtube but its their beat we just downloaded it to rap over. but did you want me to email you the beat, then just my raw recording then my friends raw recording? so youll be gettin 3 different files.

Well...a beat downloaded from youtube is probably about a 128K mp3 quality...which is terrible. Do you have the beat in a higher quality such as .wav or .flac or even a 320K mp3 if worse comes to worse?? If you don't....there is no way this will all sound professional. If all you have is the youtube download, sure....but it won't sound great. Upload all the .wav files of each track with full length (meaning if your buddy's rap doesn't start till say 2 minutes in, I need the first 2 minutes to be there but be blank so it will all line up properly in my multitrack program - yours too, needs to be black to the start time of the whole project). Upload the files in a .rar to megaupload and post the link in here or PM me the link....

Last edited:
well i downloaded the beat in 320k. from free studio converter so it would have that better quality. but you lost me at (meaning if your buddy's rap doesn't start till say 2 minutes in, I need the first 2 minutes to be there but be black so it will all line up properly in my multitrack program - yours too, needs to be black to the start time of the whole project)

the way my program works....in order to line everything up....ALL the tracks have to start from the beginning - where the beat starts. All the .wav files should be the same size in megabytes. If they're not, that means the file isn't as long as the beat file, and I would have no idea how to line it up properly with the beat. I hope that makes sense.

BLANK...not black...I made a typo when I first made the post....

Last edited:
If you are using FL Studio you could use the Fruity Limiter and then swithc it to comp so you can set parameters like gain, threshhold, ratio. Furthermore you can use the EQ to clean "bad" frequencies on the vocals. A bit Reverb would also be OK. Maybe also A biiiiit delay. Furthermore I would record some backgrounds or make them louder if there are allready some. And of course like others said : your voices are too loud compared to the beat.

Btw. the beat has some potential!

hey thanks for the tips and help.. anything else you would recomend?.. also what level should the volume of the vocals be at comapared to the beat... or is there no specific volume level.. and back round noises?.. do you mean like ad-libs.

Judging by your questions, you yourself are not going to be able to get this professional sounding any time soon.

Many issues.

There is a noob section in here that is great for helping out beginners. A lot of experienced beatmakers and producers have input and tips to help you get started. Get to the beginners section and check out all the posts, step by step, and you'll be on your way to good recording and mixing.

This is a journey; strap your boots up.

Peace.

Back