What’s your technique for eqing your kick and sub from each other?

I will admit I struggle with this the most lol I usually use a dynamic compressor/side chain. I think drum selection is important you don't want a kick drum with too much low end because you ultimately have to pick a priority as they both can't be at the same level of loudness.

The main thing is picking kicks and subs that do well together. For example, if you have a sine-wavish sub bassline, then picking a clean 808 kick, which is basically the same thing with a click at the front where the waveform starts out of phase, is going to cause problems. You can avoid 95% of kick/bass problems just with sound selection.

I would urge you not to resort to the common "trick" of low-passing the kick. That's a total nightmare and I don't know how that notion ever got started in the first place. If anything, you want to boost the high end if your kick can't cut through the bass. When I mix records I frequently gets hip-hop songs with kicks where the producer went ahead and low-passed it. Drives me nuts. I think they are all watching the same B.S. youtube video tutorial with horrible advice.

it depends what DAW im using but i normally sidechain the 808 or bass to turn down when the kick hits, you can find some tutorials on sidechaining on youtube. it will make a big difference

Back