What references to use to see how your own bass would translate to a big system

cestmoi

Hey guys and gals,
so far I use WLM meters, compare my bass to other tracks, use Voxengo Span Plus to check my own masters, but I'm feeling that I never get my bass just the way I want it to sound. I think I overdo it a lot of times.
Iszlai - Sentinel Fairy Dance by i j | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Any handy tips? How do YOU check how your sound translates to a big system??
Please share any experiences you had and you consider them important!

Last edited:
Trying them on as many systems as possible, and comparing them to tracks I've heard on big systems :) Btw good track, keep it up!

Yes, it's basically the same for everyone-- treat your room properly, know your monitors, and use reference music that you know well, on those monitors. Use multiple speakers and systems if you have access. Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

GJ

I listen to them on studio headphones in mono at very low levels 1st, then I listen to them on good speakers you'd have at home turned up loud enough to hear hoe well everything meshes together, from there it's car speakers at loud levels again and finally on regular phones at a safe playback level.

Right, it's sort of my method as well, but last time I think I pumped too much juice into my bass and that's why I had to ask ppl on here. A shitty pair of stereo speakers probably would help me as well to hear how much the top end of my bass sticks out.

That would be one of my main reasons for me to get a experienced mastering engineer on it. I'm happy with the way my stuff sounds on most systems, but translating it to big systems and big (suboptimal)
rooms takes an extra level of refinement I think is gonna be pretty hard to get from any home studio.

Love that track btw.. the bass doesn't bother me but I kinda hear what you mean. On a big system the bass would be too much, I think.

Like I wrote in my book Audio Mastering Secrets, first you have to have a sub woofer to go along with decent studio monitors. If you don't, you won't even be able to hear the bass under 100hz.

Then you have to learn the bass volume and boominess of commercial song playing on your system. From there it's pretty much A/B comparison. And don't forget to master at loud volumes on the second pass if you want it to translate well at loud volumes.

Back