What program to use to master tracks.

REAL

Hi,

I am using Cubase SX2 to record tracks, importing in .wav files for the beats that are premastered on a Tascam then recording vocals on seperate tracks. My friend is giving me Nuendo, is this all I need to make the output mix sound deeper, wider & better??

Knowledge is what your need to make it sound better.

In my opinion, if you are asking what program you use best, then you don't have enough experience so that this question would matter.

this has been convered a million times, use the search function.

briefly though....
mastering isnt some magic bullet for poor mixes, especially if you do the mastering yourself. your mixes should already have depth, space etc in them. if its not there correct it at mix level. you have much more control than you will with a 2buss mixdown (stereo file).

mastering is also concerned with creating a master for the production process. part of this includes correcting any issues within the tracks and ensuring they will sound as best they can regardless of system used however this is only a small portion of the job. you need to try to add cohesiveness to the project, deal with relative volumes, fades and positioning etc, insert codes and create a PQ list and then finally produce a production master and check it for quality and errors.

as such DAWs for mastering in its full sense are limited due to very specific technical requirements. they arent chosen, despite popular misconceptions, because they contain some great mastering bundles or tools in a processing stage.

for the simple processing portion however you can use any DAW. cubase will be fine (nuendo is just the same as cubase but with options for post production and media bundled in primarily pertaining to formats)

in order to deal with issues you will need to assess the audio and decide what it needs then address accordingly. compressors and EQs are generally the most used tools though you are going to come up against all sorts of problems relating to objectivity, monitoring issues being compounded and general abilities to make accurate decisions. mastering is all about why something is being done rather than the what.

one point, a perfect mix will require no processing at mastering, many people forget this. if you mixes arent sounding right then they will be better served having you going over them again to improve. perhaps you may need to address how you record etc as getting the right sounds in the first place goes a long long way towards a good final product

REAL said:
My friend is giving me Nuendo, is this all I need to make the output mix sound deeper, wider & better??
You're "friend" is "giving" you Nuendo...

"Friend" - "Giving" - Nuendo...

Uh, yeah.

Anyway, you already have CuSX2. Nuendo handles video better, but has the very same audio engine.

And for the most part, I'm with Neilwight - If you have mixes that aren't "deep" and "wide" already, something didn't happen during the mix - or the recording of the core sounds.

The most important thing to get the mixes sounding better *after* they're mixed is the one thing you can never have with them - Objectivity.

if youre looking for the types of things that are digital plugins meant to sound like analog equipment, check out stuff in the waves bundles, as well as izotope ozone.

best mastering softwar is cool edit pro with its great mastering presets lol..........jk ............ i use sequoia to do all "premastering " in but if you want to get serious get a sadie system. The guys are right get your mix right then practice that for 15 years then start asking about mastering. A good master is not so much the means of getting there as the knowledge of how to get there.

2nice said:
if youre looking for the types of things that are digital plugins meant to sound like analog equipment, check out stuff in the waves bundles, as well as izotope ozone.
I'd argue that if you're looking for software that emulates analog equipment, get almost anything *BUT* Waves or Ozone.

Such as the UAD collection... Best analog emulations I've heard.

Thanks for the replies. When I said 'giving' there is a charge but a small one.

Our mixes already sound pretty good, I just wanted to know any ways I could make them better (always room for improvement. I use compression on the vocals, reverb & play with the levels till they are perfect then add a bit of FX when its needed, i'm just wondering if there are any effects or EQ that others play with that would make it better.

E.g. Filters. I woudn't mind knowing how you use tem properly, so you can get that low/high pass effect where the track sounds like it disappears then comes back again???

yeah, thats exactly what I mean (I think?) . do you know how to do that in Cubase SX 2? Thanks

I would think under fx automation choose a bandbass eq with a pretty narrow bellcurve then as the track plays slide it back and forth over the highs/lows and it should record it. Oh you have to have the read / write automation enabled in it as well. ( Little rusty been awhile since i used cubase ) Would be easier if you can midi learn your eq freq ( left right ) to a knob and use that to sweep instead of a mouse for finer control.

Cheers, I made a FX track & routed it to the audio track I wish to use it on, I enabled the R/W on all tracks & set the FX to Filter but when I use the slider it doesn't change the sound at all??

Where do I set the bellcurve, within the FX unit? & how do I do that?

Thanks

Back