what microphone should i get i am new

ThaSmooth

hello I am thinking of getting a microphone for recording vocals and instruments my price rage is $100 up to 250 I have a konami usb Logitech microphone is that okay to use?

thanks do you also know what audio interface is a good one to start out?
Much of a muchness between the main players in the 2in/2out catagory. Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 does the job at a decent price.
Mic wise... Save longer, increase your budget. Rode NT2a or SE2200mkii are decent workhorses.

Yeah, I would definitely recommend the sE 2200a II C. It's a crisp detailed mic without being harsh, I'd say probably the best at it's price range until the £500 range.

Last edited:
This is all opinionated but i have a Apex435 when i started, it was 70$ and i still use it today. I love the mic for the price. if you what an example of this mic, i used it on a song of mine call "otherside" by Michael Darolfi & PrasK on youtube.

I concur with the 220. Have it as all round mic and it's wonderful. Not too expensive and usable for instruments and vocals. Depends a bit on the quality your looking for. Also, how good is your microphone amp (usually incorporated in your AI). There's so many mics and microphone amps around. If you want to do high quality recordings of instruments and such, you need better mics and better amps. Room treatment is also somsething to take into account. To start, the akg 220 will do fine.

A good microphone in that price range would be either a Shure 58a or a Sennheiser e945. Both microphones are great for vocals and multiple instruments. Being dynamic microphones, both mics are able to pick up a wide range of transients as well as SPL, so you have diversity when it comes to using either microphone. I've recorded vocals, guitars, kicks, snares and percussions using the e945 and received great results. Check out this helpful site for more information on your set up. Audio Recording Tips - Improve Your Sound

Last edited:
I have the Perception 220 model and I really like it. With a good cable like Canare or Mogami (with Neutrik or Amphenol connector) you will have good products. I never used before an Audio Technica AT2035, but I think it's other option, if you can test this microphone and the P220 model (newer), you can choose the best for your vocal. My Perception 220 isn't too bright and my vocals match with this microphone, but for your case another microphone can be better or not, depends.

Last edited:
Back