What if LUFS are lower than recommended?

auroeb

Hi Futureproducers!

I've during the last days tried to understand the LUFS concept, and what streaming
services do to music that is being uploaded to their service.

Most things are clear to me, for example, that if your mix has an integrated LUFS level of -9
platforms such as Spotify will "cut" away some of the dynamic range,
in order to fit their -12 LUFS (MAX) level. = Not really what you want.

Spotify_LUFS_normalisation_Infographic.png

I've used this information from articles such as :
masteringthemix.com/blogs/learn/song-mastering-for-cd-club-play-and-streaming

Above state Spotify having a target LUFS at -12 LUFS, youtube -13 LUFS and so on.

--------

Now to the question:

What I havent grapsed yet though, is, what if the mix is at, lets say -17 LUFS.
How will this affect the sound when going through Spotify's normalization algoritm?

Some posts here on internet just states, "Spotify will just gain the volume level to fit -12 LUFS."

Is that really it? Will that not affect the sound negatively? So if I have a mix at -24 LUFS
it will just gain it up and still sound great?!?

Thanks for your attention,

Best
Karl

Last edited:
If that were true, that would have the same effect as raising the gain in any other way. In other words, louder.

BUT, I have no idea how Spotify processes, and it would be a mistake to take Internet-based forum answers as the answer. Have you tried contacting anyone at Spotify directly?

'for example, that if your mix has an integrated LUFS level of -9
platforms such as Spotify will "cut" away some of the dynamic range,
in order to fit their -12 LUFS (MAX) level.'

Nope. If the LUFS of your mix is lower than the target volume positive gain is applied to match the target, depending on the dBTP level it might get pushed into a bw limiter.
If the LUFS of your mix is higher than the target LUFS, negative gain is applied, so it's just leveled down to match the target.

Last edited:
Spotfy won't cut your dinamics, it will "decrease the volume" of your track until the LUFS are compatible.

1- Sportfy will increase the gain ultil the LUFS are compatible.

2- It won't affect negatively beacause it won't interfere with your dinamics.

Back