View Poll Results: What Is The Ideal Decibel Level For Audio Mixdown?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • +4dBFS

3 3.00%
  • 0dBFS

24 24.00%
  • -6dBFS

71 71.00%
  • +18dBSPL

2 2.00%
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: What is the Ideal dB Level?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    at least -6 to be safe yeah

Thanks

small point

Quote Originally Posted by T Prod. View Post
    +4dBFS doesn't exist.

dBFS mens it's relative to the FULL SPECTRUM, and that means the top is 0 dB.

most people say leave 3-4dB for mastering. I leave more than 15.
    FS stands for Full Scale. And while anything above 0 doesn't technically exist in the digital domain, remember that the end chain is an analog signal coming from your D/A converters. Those converters are spouting out continuous curves based on integer information. Sometimes the digital curve can appear as if it should peak above 0, in which case the converters will generate a peaked signal even though there is technically no peaking occurring. This is called an intersample peak, and is sometimes measured in dbFS values greater than 0.

Thanks
    There are 'Red Hearrings' in this poll guys.
    [SIZE=3][B][URL="http://remarkablemix.com"]HΛКłM[/URL][/B][/SIZE]

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by laurend View Post
    Every bit worths 6 dB in the signal to noise ratio. - 30 dBFS means you're losing 5 bit on 16 in the signal description. Then the theorical signal to noise ratio is 11 (remaining bit) x 6 = 66 dB. which is poor. Bit resolution and noise are related.

If you're talking about -30 dBu (RMS), that's correct because peaks (dBFS) will be 3 or 4 bit higher.

Mathmatically correct.

However, 24bit recording is industry standard. This is 144dB of dynamic range, -30dBFS or even -40dBFS tracking with 24bit recordings, will still be considered high fidelity, and can even result in a more punchy mix at the end of it. I would still recommend tracking between -20dBFS and -12dBFS though. Preferably peaking no higher than -20dBFS.

Remember noise is far less of a problem in digital recording than it is with analogue. So, tracking moderately causes FAR less problems associated with digital recordings, such as tinniness, distortion and other related issues.

The fact is, digital recording doesn't have to be sonically worse than analogue, it can be clearer, and punchier. I would always recommend tape recording though however, as tape adds 2nd and 3rd harmonics which are very pleasing to the ear. Partly why analogue is still considered "better" by audiophiles, me being one of the anologue-heads. Cleanliness is lovely up to a point, but instruments can feel too separate more easily, resulting in a less powerful and coherent song.

24bit @ 96khz is what I use to track. I sometimes even track slightly lower than than -20dBFS, it depends on the song, and end format.

-20dBFS is approximately 0dBVU. This is certainly a good area to head for.
    "Follow your dreams, and never stop others from dreaming" Richard Quitevis

[url]http://youtube.com/user/SteelLeech[/url]

Thanks
    I voted -6dB, while mixing you won't have any problem with headroom, but as you finish mixing and move on to mastering, i prefer a -3dB headroom until i am done with the EQ.
    Last edited by Mike McKeon; 10-07-2017 at 12:29 PM.
    https://soundcloud.com/djlfd | Sincerely, Michael K McKeon

Thanks
    Any value between -0.1 dBFS and -18 dBFS is OK for a 24 bits file . But any clipper or limiter should be removed from the signal path. Of course floating 32 and 64 bits support any possible peaking value.
    Last edited by laurend; 10-08-2017 at 11:24 AM.
    Mastering 2 per minute - 7/24/365 - 1 Hour turnaround - Free test - Try now
    MaximalSound.com

Thanks
    Idk if anyone has said this or not. But the answer is simple: Whatever gain level the plugin is designed to use. Know where your distortion levels are. Most Analog plug-ins have specific "sweet-spots" and levels to get certain harmonic distortions, like the dbx 160, for example.
    Brent Flores | Engineer & Producer
    The Studio Jacksonville

Thread Information