What headphones should I get.... no mixing

justanuser

Hey guys, I'm looking for a pair of good headphones. Some studio headphones. Thing is, I can't spend money on studio time nor do I know how it works or anything like that. I got Audacity and I'm gonna try and record at home. I hot an MXL V67 so I guess that should be good. I used to have HD598s but I sold them cause they are open headphones and I'm looking for something closed that packs bass. As I said I won't be making beats or stuff like that. I just want something that I can use to listen the beat on while I record. Maybe something with good isolation so it doesn't interfere with the mic. Thank you :)

Hey,

Thanks for posting to the forum! If you're going to mix on headphones, I would recommend not going closed back to amp the bass up. Having opened ended headphones will give you a truer representation of what the bass in your mix is supposed to sound like. This will ensure that you are setting the right bass levels in your mix. Some of the best headphones out there, which I use daily for referencing, are the Sennheiser HD650's. AMAZING clarity and give the truest representation of what your mix/music is supposed to sound like.

If you're going for something that you can just record with, and not mix with, I recommend anything Sennheiser makes. They are relatively inexpensive but sound fantastic! If you're looking for some mix tips/videos, check out my YouTube channel, NextLevelRecording, and see some of the new videos we are posting! Also, feel free to shoot me a message with any questions or things you want to learn, and I will post a video as soon as I can! Also, check out our website, NextLevelRecording. com to keep up with our weekly Mix Tips blog!

- Marcus

Suggestion: Look up crossover frequencies and what they mean for your headphones. Also, if you're in the market for anything good I'd say "flat response" is a good phrase to find your headphones.

Hey,

Thanks for posting to the forum! If you're going to mix on headphones, I would recommend not going closed back to amp the bass up. Having opened ended headphones will give you a truer representation of what the bass in your mix is supposed to sound like. This will ensure that you are setting the right bass levels in your mix. Some of the best headphones out there, which I use daily for referencing, are the Sennheiser HD650's. AMAZING clarity and give the truest representation of what your mix/music is supposed to sound like.

If you're going for something that you can just record with, and not mix with, I recommend anything Sennheiser makes. They are relatively inexpensive but sound fantastic! If you're looking for some mix tips/videos, check out my YouTube channel, NextLevelRecording, and see some of the new videos we are posting! Also, feel free to shoot me a message with any questions or things you want to learn, and I will post a video as soon as I can! Also, check out our website, NextLevelRecording. com to keep up with our weekly Mix Tips blog!

- Marcus
Well, thank you for that, but I want some closed headphones. I wont be using them for mixing, I want something bassy. I had Sennheiser HD 598s

Last edited:
What is your budget like?
120$ at most. I was going to spend 250, but I thought about buying the beat that I really wanted to get which is 100$ for the Exclusive. Even if I get 80$ headphones I still wont be able to get a 2nd beat for the next song, so I gotta be as tight as possible. Thank you :)

Back