What Frequencies to cut and Boost when EQ'ing 808's & Kick Drums

BeatChampions.com

$ Looking for Producers $
This question is prompted more toward creating Hip-Hop/R&B.

I get confused when EQ'ing the low end of my tracks... on what to add to the track to make it Full without making it annoying to the ears.

I have a ton of Kick & 808 samples plus Battery 3. Which leads me to a few questions:

1) Are there any "general" / across the board EQ'ing techniques when eq'ing 808's??? (808 is the deep sub-sonic kick bass not the Trilogy bass notes)

Note: right now I cut the very low end out from 0Hz - 30Hz, in the studio everything sounds good but when bringing the track in a car if those frequencies are not cut it rattles the car with no tone. what should i boost here?

2) Same question for the Kicks (the short quick kick bass)... these should not be EQ'ed in the same frequency as the 808 correct?

Note: for these I usually cut from 0hz - 80hz an boost at 100 hz, I’m looking for more tone here than to much annoying super low end sound.

3) Now this is where I really get confused... Trilogy, when adding Trilogy Bass notes it can totally change the dynamics of the low end Kicks and 808... Should Trilogy be used in place of 808?

Note: right now I use Trilogy to play along with/support/fatten up melodies in the track.

Glad that’s off my chest!!! I need to sit down with a pro engineer ASAP!!! LOL
used in place of 808?

Note: right now I use Trilogy to play along with/support/fatten up melodies in the track.

Last edited:
Many people use one kick for the low end and another for the attack. The attack is around 150Hz and the boom is around 60Hz. Eq accordingly.

Common compressor setting are 7:1 ratio and about 6db of GR. Let attack through. Allow release to let go before another kick comes in.

Thanks for the info, really appreciate the insight!

I've been ignoring compression of the lowend of my music, mainly because I've yet to completely understand it.

Attack refers to how fast compression will be applied to the sound? and release is how slowly compression will be removed from the sound?

Another issue about low-end that ive noticed, is that how sensitive the low-end sounds are meaning the dynamics of the sound can change (sound different) based upon what sounds you add to the track.

So thinking in the scope of "workflow"... Do you think its a good idea to have a "placeholder" kick in place until the track is near completion and then add your final selected Kick?

Seems as if im wasting a lot of time Eq'ing an compressing my Kicks so they wont rattle the truck but still sound deep... just to find out that the dynamics of the kick changed because I added some synth sound to the track.

ma opinion is, that EQ the track really depends on many factors. first is the targeted effect in mind..... for most bass range u just want to concetrate on the 2nd Octave circa 40-80Hz. am thumbs up for putting a HP filter at 20-40Hz to really suck out some of the very low sub-sonics.

if ya kick then needs phat, a medium boost in the 40-100Hz i believe will do the trick. if u thnk u need some attack, maybe boost some of the low to upper mids range...400-5000Hz

another thing u have to realize in my opinion is that the perception of the kik is also continuously being affected by the other elements in the mix. for example a simple HP filter on all the other tracks except maybe the bassline will go a long way into unmasking the bass range and let the kick shine thru.
again, all these sound tools interact in a very unpredictable way. Compression is kinda key to most of mainstream drum sounds. like the most used technicz in the drums is using some sort of fooled compression modes. use a slow attack of more than lets say 60ms, a moderate release of lets say 100-200ms, hard knee, pull the threshold to achieve about 5-15dB of gain reduction. and possibly toss the track thru some mild limiting followed by some form of tube/tabe saturation with some harmonic distortion to enhance power....
some pple may use ambience(ER) only to further embiggen the trackz..

hope u getting the picture. its sort a multi factorial thing to pull off.

yeap yeap... I was able to completely control this super deep 808 by reading the sticky "Understaning everything in its own space"... using those EQ'ing techniques from the second post

I cut everything under 43Hz boosted around 150ish totally dropped between 200 - 780 a did a small boost above 1k... and that was just half the game.

Then from what you said using a multi-band compressor with spectrical analysis. I was totally able to reduce the threshhold but make up for it buy increasing the gain of the Low Band and... I used some of your attack & Release settings and my Bass is smooth in the Truck now.

Its pretty easy once you understand how to dress your Low end.... before I was out there NAKED!!!

thanks for showing me how but put clothes on!

Last edited:
hope u are enjoying the bump in the trunk............maybe u could even take the game up and try parallel compression on the kik.....this technique will now put a tuxedo on you.

This question is prompted more toward creating Hip-Hop/R&B.

I get confused when EQ'ing the low end of my tracks... on what to add to the track to make it Full without making it annoying to the ears.

I have a ton of Kick & 808 samples plus Battery 3. Which leads me to a few questions:

1) Are there any "general" / across the board EQ'ing techniques when eq'ing 808's??? (808 is the deep sub-sonic kick bass not the Trilogy bass notes)

Note: right now I cut the very low end out from 0Hz - 30Hz, in the studio everything sounds good but when bringing the track in a car if those frequencies are not cut it rattles the car with no tone. what should i boost here?

2) Same question for the Kicks (the short quick kick bass)... these should not be EQ'ed in the same frequency as the 808 correct?

Note: for these I usually cut from 0hz - 80hz an boost at 100 hz, I’m looking for more tone here than to much annoying super low end sound.

3) Now this is where I really get confused... Trilogy, when adding Trilogy Bass notes it can totally change the dynamics of the low end Kicks and 808... Should Trilogy be used in place of 808?

used in place of 808?

"Making it full" is always different. 8 times out of 10 you don't need more than 2-3dB boost, if you need any. Your drums should sound full in the first place, without plugging any EQ/compressor on it. EQ is for changing the sound, not to add anything to it.

Back