What to Expect from Automated Mastering?

laurend

Here are some examples produced by the MaximalSound algorithm.
The gain corrections required for a constant volume A/B comparison are specified under the "After" player.

Just Friends
Before

After

Correction -6.75 dB

One Note Samba
Before

After

Correction -6.59 dB

Rise and Shine
Before

After

Correction -6.57 dB

Room 34
Before

After

Correction -6.40 dB

Do not hesitate to download the PCM files to override the SoundCloud codec limitations.

---------- Post added 03-19-2013 at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was 03-11-2013 at 09:08 AM ----------

MaximalSound now proposes a new service for its loyal customers.

Once created, a VIP account can be fed with units purchased with a volume discount. The VIP offers vary by the amount of purchased units and offered bonuses.

Other benefits:

• Using a VIP account allows simultaneous uploads.
  • A single custom page monitors the jobs progress. Downloads and purchases are also done from this custom page.
  • The random demo sample is extended to 60 seconds.

The algorithm has been refined to improve the low frequencies impact while improving both fidelity and perceived volume. It's shared by the regular and VIP services. The turnaround is less than one hour for both services.

Interesting. Never thought about mastering as something that can/should be automated. Saying turn around is less than an hour is another way of saying the turn around may take up to an hour. But why would something that's automated take up to an hour? Seems a bit long even for the most complicated of algorithms, but maybe I'm just being picky lol

Automated doesn't mean real time especially when a global analyse is required before processing. The usual turnaround is much often few minutes than a complete hour. The render farm has been extended (x4) to ensure the growing crowd of users the best possible service.

Thanks for that URL. I'm very curious to hear the result of an automated mix. We'll have to wait for the opening of this site which is just collecting e-mail addresses at the moment.

---------- Post added 07-16-2013 at 02:24 PM ---------- Previous post was 03-24-2013 at 10:30 PM ----------

Because the online algorithm has been updated on June 28, I've also updated the demo playlist. It features both source track / RMS matched mastering / full size mastering for every track.

https://soundcloud.com/laurent-sevestre/sets/demo-july-2013

Enjoy

Last edited:
I personally think mixing and mastering shouldn't be automated. A human ear needs to hear what is clear and unclear and mix everything till he is satisfied. Every mastering engineer does it different.

You can already get some answers here:
Maximalsound - faq

I did that. I spent a good deal of time reading the info on the site, reading the feedback/testimonials and listening to the samples. I even watched the youtube vids that did comparisons and also watched the youtube vid where you did a shoot out with a couple of limiters. The only thing I didn't do was read the white paper you provided but, technically, I did read it as the information in it is in the FAQ. Shit I'm even reading the gearslutz thread now (a lot of people were hating but a lot of people came to your defense.)

Back