What is this effect?? ........

D

dj funkifize

I don't know what it is but I really like it. It's added to vocals and it gives them what I'd call a crystalized sound. I first heard it in the "mouse on mars remix" of Cibo Matto's Moonchild. And it's in Janet Jackson's "All For You" when she sings "all for you" the "you" has that effect. And the backing vocals of Faith Hill's "the way you love me" has it too. It's most noticible in the Faith Hill song. It's more subtle in the other 2.

I really like it and want to know what it is. Thanks a lot.
=)

Sound's like they used a vocoder.

The voice was used to vocode
a synthesiser sound. The pitch of the synth tone
was played like a melody instrument. The result
was then selectively mixed with the real vocal,
sometimes its there, sometimes it's not. , it
never sounds too artificial.

Here is an article on how Cher's "Believe" was recorded which uses a similar vocal effect. They cover getting the vocal sound quite extensively.

Let me know if you agree or have anymore questions.

Recording Cher's "Believe"

aww, i knew the answer to this one, and i was going to jump in and type away, ll proud ..:D but hey, mr F, u answered more comprehensively than i could. i'll check that article. good man! i like the use of the word "selectively" :)

Thanks!
I was suspecting either a Vocoder or some kind of trick with compression maybe.
But I didn't know you could make vocoders so subtle. I always thought the effects were more wild and outlandish.

So then, how exactly does a vocoder work? you play the melody on your synth, then the vocals match up to the pitch?

thanks guys
-Mike S

yeh, sortt of like that.

not sure if there are many subtle vocoder fx out there, i think Fitz meant that they record the vocoded voice onto a track, say in pro tools, and then automate a mix, where they slide up the volume fader. so that u can hear the effect poking it's head out underneath the main vocal track(s)- whicj could consist of 2 takes mixed together for extra body.
Although in Janet Jackson's case, she has a great body anyway, and so i guess doesent have to sing at all. The fact that she does double tracks is a very generous thing ... ;D

Back