What do you think is the better recording method?

cp2_4eva

Hey there peeps. As of now I record my instrumentals to my computer where I utilize my Cubase SE (yea I know, I will upgrade soon) but I was thinkin about just getting something like a d3200 or some other type of multitrack recorder and recording it to there and then further editing it on the computer. I'd send the tracks to the PC via USB or just by a disk. I was thinkin about getting a mini mac or a mac of some sort if it came down to sending the tracks via USB. What do ya think? How do you guys (or gals) do it?

Just get a decent interface for the Mac and record straight to the hard drive...that's what you'd be doing with an external multitrack recorder anyway.

Yo morning star, why would you say that the Mac is a waste of money? And Audiotech, what do you mean by recording straight to the Mac harddrive? I mean, that would defeat the purpose of the multitrack right?

cp2_4eva said:
Audiotech, what do you mean by recording straight to the Mac harddrive? I mean, that would defeat the purpose of the multitrack right?
Um, no...a multitrack firewire interface and software take care of that just fine. Digidesign and Protools, for example. There are other choices, but that was mine.

Last edited:
I think morning star meant getting a multitrack recorder is waste of money. You should get a decent interface and let your computer do the job of the multitracker.

lounger said:
I think morning star meant getting a multitrack recorder is waste of money. You should get a decent interface and let your computer do the job of the multitracker.

something like a motu 828mk2, it a hi end soundcard that makes your mac (and software) an hd recorder.

other good brands are rme, presonus, emu, tascam, focusrite, ...

I am recommending Lynx products these days. I just went from a Layla 3G to a Lynx Aurora 8 with AES16 and it smokes the Layla. The best way I can describe the sound is "clean and smooth".

While I was doing my research a lot of people were dumping their MOTU's and never looking back.

I know the Aurora is probably too much for you but certainly take a look at the Lynx2. It comes is different versions and the quality is said to be only slightly less than the Aurora.

The RME's were the only close competition to Lynx, the rest being considered entry level soundcards and converters.

My Layla certainly improved in sound by using the AES16 as the clock source, but the Aurora still sounds better.

I was skeptical about making such a large leap in the dollar department, but it was money well spent. Thanks to Massive for advising me that I was doing the right thing. :)

damn, I gotta check on the price range of these products. If it's really worth it though I might just drop a few dollars on it. As far as a mac goes would you recommend a laptop to do the work? Or would I NEED the G5 desktop?

Back