Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of Automatic Mastering?

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalm View Post
    Completely agree. Even for small stuff. An increment of better to someone is . . . well better. Also, this might be good just to hear what a mastered version "MIGHT" sound like.
    Then again - turning it around one more time - the problem is that most people will probably don't have a clue about what actual mastering is; a lot of them newbies already think it's just the act of slapping on a limiter, and this isn't going to change things for the better. But maybe that's the way things in this day and age are gonna be and it's useless to fight against it. Dunno, really
    They Make A Desert And Call It Peace

Bittihiisi | Krushing | Krushord | Salaneuvosto |

Thanks
    Now I have to try it :P

Thanks
    It's not the automatic mastering I dislike as much as the heavy emphasis on mastering. You can read their articles and they'll often be like "By the way your tracks suck and it's because you aren't mastering them you nerd." Very aggressive. True story.

Thanks
    Honestly, mastering is only applying the last layer of gloss on a production. It can't save a poor mix which can't save a poor tracking which can't........
    But because it's the last production step, it can destroy all the previous efforts.
    Last edited by laurend; 04-05-2016 at 12:47 PM.
    Mastering 2 per minute - 7/24/365 - 1 Hour turnaround - Free test - Try now
    MaximalSound.com

Thanks
    Never tried LANDR and I don't know their algorithms but I feel like as they put more research and development into it, it could be really successful.

Not sure if they already do this, but if they made it to the point where you feed it 2-3 reference songs and it analyzes how those are mixed and uses that analysis to analyze your song and add the correct elements - idk it might just work. That doesn't seem where it is at right now though and that would take quite the team of coders to develop that.
    Check out SampleDrop.com - We send you super dope sample packs every week straight to your email for free.

Thanks
    Also found this at the end of one of their articles.

How I Got Punchier Drums With One Simple Compression Hack | LANDR Blog

"Scott Parsons is a full-time music enthusiast and semi-professional pinball player. Editor at LANDR."

I hope they are being ironic or I just don't understand the roles of editors.

Thanks
    It's not mastering, I know that...without trying it.
    It would be based on luck.
    Most likely attempts to match frequency response to a "desired" curve...
    among other things.

Thanks
    I've tried it. At first I was like "wow" but then I took the tracks I've mastered, put them down to the same volume as the original final mix, and guess what: almost no difference. It basically just makes it louder, with a little touch of eq or excitement here and there, but not good, really. Thing is, if your final mix is super good, landr could make it sound good since your mix is already killing it, so doesn't need much adjustment rather than bringing it up to commercial levels. But if your final mix isn't a dream mix, then landr is definitely not going to "save your mix" or let alone do it any better.. I went back and re-mastered my mix, compared with landr mastering and the original mix all at the same volume, needless to say conscious self-made mastering was much, much better. I'd recommend you to either learn and do it yourself or hire a professional.

Thanks
    Honestly, mastering is only applying the last layer of gloss on a production. It can't save a poor mix which can't save a poor tracking which can't........
    But because it's the last production step, it can destroy all the previous efforts.
    Mastering isn't about how much you get loud, but how you you get loud. It's easy to be loud when cutting the bass as LandR does.
    Mastering 2 per minute - 7/24/365 - 1 Hour turnaround - Free test - Try now
    MaximalSound.com

Thanks
    I tried it once and it sounded like they just turned up the volume, it was $10 so i pretty much got what I paid for

Thread Information