Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of Automatic Mastering?

Thanks

Lightbulb What do you think of Automatic Mastering?

Sign in to disable this ad
    So I've just come across this, its called Landr.
    It's an online service that is supposed to automatically master any track you spit into it.
    I was a little sketchy on this at first, so I fed it with one of my more recent projects, not too much success.

Has anyone else used this yet?
    I'm intrigued to here your thoughts on having a computer master for you!
    Last edited by kylelazaroo; 02-22-2016 at 04:38 AM.

Thanks
    I haven't used it.

The technology amuses me. I'd love to compare some before and after songs, particularly if they are volume adjusted to the same level.

But I can't imagine it can sound as good as a talented engineer doing what he does. Sure, they can algorithmically set the output volume, compress for a certain range of dynamics, and EQ until the song matches the frequency profile LANDR wants. But who is to say that will sound good? Who is to say a folk song or piano recording will be fairly treated, compared to an EDM track?

I've heard there are computer experiments with songwriting. I wouldn't be surprised if some has tried programming a robo-painter. Would you expect them to be good?

Thanks
    Just try to forge your own opinion.
    Mastering 2 per minute - 7/24/365 - 1 Hour turnaround - Free test - Try now
    MaximalSound.com

Thanks
    It's probably about as useful as slapping on an Ozone preset without really understanding why.
    They Make A Desert And Call It Peace

Bittihiisi | Krushing | Krushord | Salaneuvosto |

Thanks
    I haven't tried it but cookie cutter mastering can't be good... in my opinion.

Thanks
    ...but of course there's a target demographic for a service like this, which is the people that really just want their stuff LOUD, don't feel quite confident or don't have the funds to pay actual mastering engineers, but on the other hand are somewhat insecure about doing it themselves. It might not be "real" mastering, but if you feel it makes your stuff sound better, and you can kind of say you "had it mastered" - why not. I'm sure people like me are gonna continue scoffing at these kind of things, while others are gonna just use it. Not sure if there are any proper Landr-mastered smash hits out, but it's probably only a matter of time.
    They Make A Desert And Call It Peace

Bittihiisi | Krushing | Krushord | Salaneuvosto |

Thanks
    I keep meaning to try this just for kicks. I have had plenty of clients insist on going to joe-blow moonlighting as a mastering engineer and had them BUTCHER my mixes. Who knows, can this LANDR really be WORSE than some of these guys? I've had stuff mastered by these butchers and I've had stuff mastered by the best of the best. I don't think LANDR will be the best of the best, but maybe it can beat the butcher. One of these days I'll pull a couple songs and try it out and compare. I mean, we can all make educated guesses, but you never know until you try it! And least then if I trash talk it I'm talking from experience.
    Chris 'Von Pimpenstein' Carter - Hit Producer & Mixer with three #1 hit singles
    http://www.vonpimpenstein.com

Thanks
    I look forward to seeing a comparison between this and other tools. It would be awesome to see a shootout with: 2-3 automated services, 2-3 cheapo guys online, and 2-3 real mastering engineers. Do the comparison with volume as they come, then do the comparison level-matched. Might make a great YouTube video.

If no one else makes it, maybe I'll make it someday.

Thanks
    Germans have done it already months ago.
    Photo MaximalSound : Beat.de June2016 (#1317790) - Audiofanzine
    Last edited by laurend; 02-23-2016 at 10:54 AM.
    Mastering 2 per minute - 7/24/365 - 1 Hour turnaround - Free test - Try now
    MaximalSound.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by krushing View Post
    ...but of course there's a target demographic for a service like this, which is the people that really just want their stuff LOUD, don't feel quite confident or don't have the funds to pay actual mastering engineers, but on the other hand are somewhat insecure about doing it themselves. It might not be "real" mastering, but if you feel it makes your stuff sound better, and you can kind of say you "had it mastered" - why not. I'm sure people like me are gonna continue scoffing at these kind of things, while others are gonna just use it. Not sure if there are any proper Landr-mastered smash hits out, but it's probably only a matter of time.
    Completely agree. Even for small stuff. An increment of better to someone is . . . well better. Also, this might be good just to hear what a mastered version "MIGHT" sound like.

Thread Information