What DB should my beats peak at? And how do i lower?

the.boy

Hi all!

I'm new to producing so im still learning this. Im producing beats in FL which I am selling online for artists to rap over. My question is, what DB should my master be at? My beats have been peaking at -3 to 0. But after researching online, most people say it shouldn't go over -6, so there is plenty of room for vocals. Some people say below -10. Im sure it differs between beats and personal preference, but what should i aim for? Im going to go back over previous beats and re mix them all to bring the DB down :(

My other question is.. I have already mixed my tracks, and I like the balance of all instruments. Whats the best method to bring the DB down without going through all mixer channels and bringing them down? As that would mess with my balance?

Thanks!

The master fader is your friend to keep peak values under the number of dB of your choice.
Any value under 0 dB is OK. Peak values don't mean much about volume. They're only important to prevent clipping above 0 dB.
The exact expression should be 0 dBFS for full scale wich is the maximal possible modulation level.

Back