What can I do with this unmixed song?

AnimalRap

I have a beat that was unmixed, the producer sent it to me as a reference and then his computer crashed and lost the file. Its from 2010 and it features 2 dope well known rappers, thats why i want to release it so bad. What should I do? When I record my verse on this record is there anything my engineer can do to the beat? And what about mastering? I'm going to release the record as an "Unreleased track" anyway but is there any audible hope quality wise?

Yes, there's a lot he can do to the beat as far freq and dynamic manipulation, but only in it's 2 track state so there will be limitations. Meaning that he can only polish the current mixdown and try his/her best to make you gel with it. He's the engineer, he should know what to do. If you want complete control, have the producer remake the track.

Last edited:
When I only have a two track to work with I usually duplicate it a few times and split it up by frequency. You then have way more control over it. Try using some parallel compression as well to make it hit harder and gel.

Back