Volume and Waveform. What is "wrong"?

BigDrost

Hi, I've been producing for a little more than 2 year, but until now, I've been doing it just for fun. It was no more than 6 months ago when I decided that I want to really get into producing. But, enough about history.

Here's the thing... This is something I just dont get yet. When I compare my track's waveform and volume to other preople's tracks, it's always smaller and lower. Here's what I mean:

Trak.jpg

My first thoughts were that I needed to make it "bigger" and "louder" by mastering it better. So I followed a guide about what plugins to use (I know mastering SHOULD be done by someone pro, but anyway, lets keep going), so I used (in FL Studio) Parametrics EQ2 (cutting), Compressor, Multiband Compressor, Parametrics EQ2 (gain) and a Limiter. In the end, the track was sounding actually better, but the volume, the "loudness" was still lower than other people's track.
So here's where it get's tricky for me, the volume of the track is already reaching 0.0dB at it's peaks, here:

mast.jpg (just opened an mp3 file of my track on a new project to show the peak around 0.0dB)

So, is there something I've done wrong in the mixing part so this could happen? Is there something different I should have done? What are you guys thoughts and recommendations?
I know that bigger and louder doesn't mean better, but this is someting that is bugging me and I would like to learn how to reach a different result. Thank you in advance.

1) render to wav never mp3
2) unless your limiter settings are actually set right you will undo any loudness mastering you are trying to do
3) send me the wav stereo mix un-treated by your "mastering chain" and I'll demonstrate what can be done using reaper and it's stock plug-ins

i have maybe a similar problem...BUT, one question for proffessionals: WHY should we do EQ on the master channel (for cutting LOW freq.) -> when we cut it already from kick, bass, sample ect......so we then dont have that low part...i mean it is shown on the master eq somehow, but i think that changes a thing...maybe exactly that cutting (again) these low freq -> lowers our 'power' of song's volume ? i hope you understand what im talking about :)

i have maybe a similar problem...BUT, one question for proffessionals: WHY should we do EQ on the master channel (for cutting LOW freq.) -> when we cut it already from kick, bass, sample ect......so we then dont have that low part...i mean it is shown on the master eq somehow, but i think that changes a thing...maybe exactly that cutting (again) these low freq -> lowers our 'power' of song's volume ? i hope you understand what im talking about :)

no

the cutting of low freq content is to combat dc offset and other rumble that may be present as a result of any other processing applied to the individual channels or the mix overall (i.e. FX that is post channel but pre master fader - yes it should be eq'd after to ensure that the frequency profile is maintained, but sometimes it gets forgotten or is deliberately not done)

another thing to consider is that any eq at the level of the mastering chain is meant to be subtle rather than dramatic, usually no more than +/- 2dB and more like +/- 0.5dB - if you need to do more than 3dB up or down then you should revisit the mix and individual channel eq first

thanks...i didnt know that, so ill cut low sometimes...but for adding/cutting other freq i dont think that a great idea...im amateur so my vision is: if your mix is okay -> your master is there to gain a volume to all of your elements at the same time...so i wont use eq except cutting lows..possibly im wrong hah

1) render to wav never mp3
2) unless your limiter settings are actually set right you will undo any loudness mastering you are trying to do
3) send me the wav stereo mix un-treated by your "mastering chain" and I'll demonstrate what can be done using reaper and it's stock plug-ins

Hey man, I'm sending it to you.

Back