The volume on the rendered song is way too low, help please!

tuneitdown

Hey guys so as the title says after I finish rendering my song and play it in my car or send it to my friends I've found that it just sounds too low, even my friends tell me that. I have to literally turn up the volume quite a bit in my car for it to really be heard. However when I record it and play it through my laptop, both through its speakers and my headphones, it sounds perfectly fine. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

I'm using a Shure SM58, a Behringer Xynex 302 USB for pre-amp, and a recording software called Tracktion that came with the pre-amp. Please help, thanks

Last edited:
Are you saying that playing back the rendered file on your computer where you recorded it, the levels are that much different than it is inside the program?

Or are your songs just low volume in general?

Well, whenever I play it on my laptop, both in the program and after I render it, it sounds good like the way it's supposed to. But when I take that rendered file and play it through my iphone in my car, or when I send that same file to my friends the feedback I've always gotten was that the volume is just too low. And in my car I have to up the volume a lot to be able to hear it.

Ok, so my guess is that the rendering is fine, and that you just make your tracks at low levels.

There are many posts, articles and videos on how to get some more loudness in your tracks without clipping and such. All of which has some kind of limiting on the master bus.

Essentially you squeeze the peaks of the audio and level out the dynamics a bit, so things sound like they are louder than they actually are. Before I go any deeper into this it's probably better if you try and locate the info on the Web and read up on it and come back if you still have some questions.

Excuse my vague response at the moment, I don't have time right now to write any real lengthy responses.

Last edited:
Ok, so my guess is that the rendering is fine, and that you just make your tracks at low levels.

There are many posts, articles and videos on how to get some more loudness in your tracks without clipping and such. All of which has some kind of limiting on the master bus.

Essentially you squeeze the peaks of the audio and level out the dynamics a bit, so things sound like they are louder than they actually are. Before I go any deeper into this it's probably better if you try and locate the info on the Web and read up on it and come back if you still have some questions.

Excuse my vague response at the moment, I don't have time right now to write any real lengthy responses.

I tried looking up info. on the web but I don't know how to do most of what they're talking about because I'm not a producer, I only rap. So I don't know how to mix. But even without a producer I'm sure you should be able to get at least something people can hear. And I tried messing around with the sound levels, increasing the gain and such but I found that if I increased them too much it gave me a headache just by listening to them.

So that's where I'm at at the moment. I increased the gain so now it sounds a bit louder in my car but I feel like that's not a permanent solution.

I'm not really sure what your friends are talking about unless they are complaining that there is no clarity in any part of the mix

the mix is passable as a demo but not much more - everything needs tightening up to my ears so that we can each layer clearly

send me link to dropbox or google drive with all of the audio tracks for one song via pm and I'll have a go at mixing it for you in Audacity, a program that you can download for yourself for free

It could be lacking some extra loudness and clarity, so maybe consider some saturation/high's boosted with an eq. It's not "quiet" though.

I'm not really sure what your friends are talking about unless they are complaining that there is no clarity in any part of the mix

the mix is passable as a demo but not much more - everything needs tightening up to my ears so that we can each layer clearly

send me link to dropbox or google drive with all of the audio tracks for one song via pm and I'll have a go at mixing it for you in Audacity, a program that you can download for yourself for free

Whoa, thank you dude, I really appreciate that, I hope this is where the issue is with my songs. I'll pm you with the files rn. I also downloaded audacity and I'm gonna work on figuring out how to mix with it. Thank you man.

Starting listening to help you with your issue, but got lost in the song. I like it dude! Good lyrics and delivery. I'm following you know. Keep it up bro.

Lol thats great man thanks! I got a serious new project coming up over the summer. I'll follow you back

Back