Vocals sounding thin?

J

jakobeats

recording hip hop vocals through Rode NT2A and Digi 003 rack.
vocals are sounding thin and dead.
have tried moving mic around the room to experiment with different placement.
also applied nice Compression and Reverb settings after recording which improves the sound but it still sounds dead because i cant capture the dynamics of the Artists voice in the original recording (sounds flat, dead)
tonight i am going to go back to the house and try using the Rode with and SM58 to try to grab the rawness of the vocals.
if anyone else has had the same problem or has any suggesstions that would be greatly appreciated..
i have the feeling im overlooking something very simple its a new setup at my mates house so im just feeling my way through..

The original NT2 sounds very natural but for the most part it'll sound "thin" on most male vocalists. At least to my experience it has been just about all. It really shines for capturing the higher registers but for rap vocals it's hard to beat a good dynamic. Any of the standard mics such as the SM7B. RE20, and the Heil PR40 will crush most condensors of any price point.

The Neumann TLM 103 is very hit or miss but it can sound great with males that have deeper vocals and very upfront for singers.

it helps to apply little compression while tracking
also you can try add chorus,reverb to your liking while recording without printing it into harddisk

I own the Heil Pr-40 and recommend it to anyone. It's a great all around mic. Ive used it for vocals. Drums and amps! Not many can do that....

running through a good pre amp (then bypassing the 003 preamp) might help a little...
but like they said a good dynamic is a good idea

Back