Vocal mixing issues

tommywadd

Peace guys,

I have a few songs that the vocals aren't the best quality... was wondering if anyone would wanna have a listen to the stems and see if they can do anything to make them sound normal? I cant get the artist back in the studio to record over. Not an ideal situation but am sure they could be made to sound good still

Thanks

Peace guys,

I have a few songs that the vocals aren't the best quality... was wondering if anyone would wanna have a listen to the stems and see if they can do anything to make them sound normal? I cant get the artist back in the studio to record over. Not an ideal situation but am sure they could be made to sound good still

Thanks

There are many reasons why vocals might not come out great in a mix, many of those issues are rooted in awareness issues about how to make them work in its context. But great vocals also require a great recording of them. The bar is set very high, so it depends, in your case the issue might be 60% before the mix and 40% after the recording. So try to break down what the issue is a product of and why.

Those 3 dB or so before the target loudness level is where the magic is either missing or present. Push the mix to -7 LUFS or so and check are the vocals sitting comfortably? I bet no.

Most of the times the vocals are bad because they do not "sing" anymore, they "scream". This happens by default.

Last edited:
Back