Vocal Harmonization

K

krysalis

does anyone know of any vst's that can be used for vocal harmonizing? I've been told to just go out and buy the hardware but in all honesty im not ready to shell out hundreds of dollars just for a harmonizer yet...as well does anyone know of any techniques for achieving nice harmonizing sound? (For those of you that dont know you can use a vocal harmonizer to achieve what lil jon uses on trillville's as well as some others songs to get that sound of the crowd singing along with the artist...atleast this is what ive been told...)

krysalis said:
For those of you that dont know you can use a vocal harmonizer to achieve what lil jon uses on trillville's as well as some others songs to get that sound of the crowd singing along with the artist...atleast this is what ive been told...

I don't know specifically what the songs you are talking about sound like... but I suspect you will be extremely disappointed if you try to use a "harmonizer" (or any FX unit) to get the sound of a crowd singing along with someone.

it sounds like a crowd, it might be a crowd. i know the sound u are talkin about i do it all the time by turning the speakers up and recording a crowd on the mic 3-5 people at the most. i record it low so it wont come close to peaking and that also makes it sound more like a bigger crowd from further away. it will take a few takes to get the right ones cause people get off beat. just experiment till u get what u want.

Krysalis,
There are a few harmonizer plugins out there. Some in vst, some in rtas & tdm, some in mac format....however, the sound quality is generally inferior to manual harmonizing and eventide which has spent years refining their hardware's algorithms. I've heard great results coming out of of TC units, good results from Digitech vocalist units. I believe there was a vst by Akai called Decabuddy that could create a four part harmony or unison with decent results. There's also Clone ensemble which can ve very cpu intensive but allows you to create many voices in unison. Arboretum I believe has a harmonizer. Eventide has the Octavox in a TDM format I believe.

A studio I know uses Avox by Antares which I believe has doubler and choir effects in the package. These are unisons though and will not create chordal harmonies. From what I hear these tools sound great on vocals when used properly.

===Manually===
Sometimes the better way is to do it manually.

You can achieve that lil jon DOUBLED sound manually through the DAW by copying segments of the vocal you want "doubled", pasting it to a new track and detuning it a few cents flat or sharp and setting it back or forward a few milliseconds from perfect alignment with the original vocal. Create more instances of the double and Experiment with different values for placement and pitch to achieve better results. You could also use a randomiser and stereo imager on the doubles to widen the field and really make it sound like you're with a choir full of nothing but the lead vocalist.

manual HARMONIZING is widely employed in the industry and requires a talented vocalist. it's done simply by recording the different harmonic segments onto their own tracks, levelling, imaging then autotuning. They sound great and often more natural than a harmonizer automated on a single vocal track.

Hope this helped!

sincerely,
Owen

yeah that reeeally helped man...you been at this a while no doubt your advice helped fam...imma need to get at you with questions from now ons lol...thanks...

just invest in an eventide, best purchase I've made for such things. works for guitar, bass, vocals, and any audio signal you can throw at it....

krysalis said:
does anyone know of any vst's that can be used for vocal harmonizing? I've been told to just go out and buy the hardware but in all honesty im not ready to shell out hundreds of dollars just for a harmonizer yet...as well does anyone know of any techniques for achieving nice harmonizing sound? (For those of you that dont know you can use a vocal harmonizer to achieve what lil jon uses on trillville's as well as some others songs to get that sound of the crowd singing along with the artist...atleast this is what ive been told...)

I just have to add...

Do not waste your money on any hardware or software to achieve the sound of real vocal harmonies or crowds.

Just about every harmony or crowd vocal you hear on a "real" CD is done by using a bunch of people, multiple layers and actual harmonies sung by real people.

Any singer who is even barely worth recording is easily able to sing actual harmonies.

...Just sing a harmony.

...Just get a couple of friends in front of the mic with you and yell your "crowd" vocals and multilayer different takes of the part.

It couldn't be easier.

...and if it is not easy, then you should practice more or get a better vocalist.

Have you ever heard the phrase "if it walks like a duck, it is a duck"?

dvyce said:
Do not waste your money on any hardware or software to achieve the sound of real vocal harmonies or crowds.

Just about every harmony or crowd vocal you hear on a "real" CD is done by using a bunch of people, multiple layers and actual harmonies sung by real people.

Any singer who is even barely worth recording is easily able to sing actual harmonies.
Word. I must echo that any vocalist worth their salt can lay a harmony. If anything, buy Antares AutoTune to tighten things up, and edit, edit, edit.

Back