Vocal editing by hand? (Offline editing)

JamesWorthy

Hi,

Recently I sent a song off for mastering, the engineer came back with a couple of requests which I understood just fine and have complied with however he sent one which threw me as I had no idea what he was talking about and have no idea how to carry it out. I will copy and paste the message below:

'
vocal is too loud, and it also needs some offline edits, as there are some bumps around 70-80Hz'

When I then asked for clarification he sent back:

'offline edits - editing vocal in this case and removing those 70-80Hz big peaks

with
pencil rather then any other processor (removing issues by hand)'

I am relatively new to the mixing process so I'm willing to come across as an idiot by asking this. If anyone has any ideas as to what this means and how I can carry it out I'd be very happy. I'm using Logic Pro X.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
I guess he means that there are some occasional bumps in that area, as opposed to just having a constant presence in that freq range, in which case you'd just use an EQ or a filter to get it out. If there are just a few bumps during the whole track, you probably don't want to process the whole thing through an EQ and possibly affect the mix just trying to get them bumps out.

So on your toolbar, you should have a little pencil icon. You use this to edit with the cursor. You can hi-lite sections (or zoom in and edit with the pencil/cursor right down to the pixel level). Try hi-lighting a section and editing out the egregious area, or EQing/normalizing/volume editing, etc. It lets you do that at a much closer level/higher resolution, because affecting the whole track for those few areas would be akin to using a sledge hammer instead of a scalpel to do surgery.

PS-- Try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3V-94fzpfO4

Last edited:
Back