Using Pre amps and Gain Stagin

Hey all,

I really need an understanding of correctly using my pre amp plugin and when exactly to gain stage (before our after recording). I’ve never used a pre amp and it was recommended that I use one while recording my vocals. Now I understand that using one will amplifiy the siganl, but does it also give the signal more “character” or “life” (you know some kind of effect?) and do I really need to use one?

Also I keep chasing my tale over the fundementals of vocal levels when recording and when exactly to gain stage. When recording vocals do I gain stage prior or after the fact? The rule of thumb is to shoot for a clean signal is -18 DBFS - so do I use clip gain or trim until my vocal levels are sitting at -18 comfortably and then record, or do I just make sure my vocals dont clip, record them, and then trim down to -18 DBFS?

You will gain stage all through the process of recording and mixing; it is not a single one-time event. Therefore, proper gain-staging is essential to get a good recording _while_ tracking. Also, if you plug into an interface, you are using a preamp; just not one that is as good or expensive as a stand-alone, dedicated device. And yes, a good preamp will sound better than an inexpensive one, and different brands using different proprietary circuitry will sound different, or impart some type of "character" to the sound in most cases (there are preamps designed for more "transparency," however).

With that out of the way, I would say that your peaks should not go above the recommended -18 point, and you can use your trim to make that adjustment. If you have one or two clips, you can try normalizing the file (or that section) below the clip point, but best-practice is just recording it right the first time.

GJ

You will gain stage all through the process of recording and mixing; it is not a single one-time event. Therefore, proper gain-staging is essential to get a good recording _while_ tracking. Also, if you plug into an interface, you are using a preamp; just not one that is as good or expensive as a stand-alone, dedicated device. And yes, a good preamp will sound better than an inexpensive one, and different brands using different proprietary circuitry will sound different, or impart some type of "character" to the sound in most cases (there are preamps designed for more "transparency," however).

With that out of the way, I would say that your peaks should not go above the recommended -18 point, and you can use your trim to make that adjustment. If you have one or two clips, you can try normalizing the file (or that section) below the clip point, but best-practice is just recording it right the first time.

GJ

Ok great. Ill make sure I get the levels righ the first time.

Back