Using Loops

Chappyinit

Hi Everyone,
As part of some research, I'm interested to hear from people about how they use loops (drum, guitar etc.). For example, are you use them as a start off point and inspiration for composing?
Your feedback would be much appreciated!

Last edited:
You want to hear what people has to say, or you want to forcefully make them talk? Everywhere I look in FP there's a post of yours about the same subject.

Sorry about that Ddream. I'm new to the site and thought the same people probably would see the posts. That will teach me!

Hm, can you specify? Are you talking about break beats? Construction kits (wav/mp3)? Midi files? Or all the above?

I prefer to chop up break beats into single hits to give me more freedom, so I don't have to worry about matching my lead to it's tempo. I've used some midi files since I have the flexibility to use an instrument I want and to transpose the key. I only use them when I have some "producer block" though.

Of course, the use of loops is debated and sometimes looked down upon. We making hip-hop, it's not brain surgery, there are no rules. If the loops sounds good to you then incorporate into your track, if not don't. Hope this helps.

I use loops to get things a little more meaty. If things are too light and airy. God, we musicians use crazy adjectives haha.
I hope you know what I mean. I'll generally cut the lows out, and use the loop for some extra rhythm

I'm talking about actual drum beats that are bought as loops. Thanks for your feedback, it's much appreciated.

I mean using a kick/clap/hat loop to me is super lame if you just drag and drop it... It's extremely lazy and as a producer you should snap out of the habit right away.

I have layered drum loops before to make some pretty good sounding beats just comes down to editing the sound of each loop to serve whatever purpose you want.

Thanks for your reply. The reason I ask is because we're launching a new music loops service. The service will actually start with drum loops. So 10 live recorded drum loops of the highest quality per month for just £1. Would this be something that you would sign up for and do you know of others who would?
Cheers,
Tim

Back