Urgent....about Speakers!!!!

P

PRiZ

Okay, I'm getting a computer and have no idea what to think about speakers. Do I need good speakers? I'm making hiphop, even tho that probably isn't important.
Do I need good speakers, to record? I'm planning on mainly using headphones, but about basic external speakers for my computer, I'm lost. I don't even no what to think, when I record does it go straight into the computer or do I record what it hears on the outside, like the music and my voice, everything going into the mic, or do I have the headphones on my head with the beat and drop the vocals on the mic with nothing else playing???
Help me, Is it better to get really good speakers, what kind of speakers do I need to get in general? I want to be able to play loud music and use a mic for fun even if that isn't how I record eventually...? I don't know what to think, Ade if you read this what do you do, to recored or use as a speaker setup, thanks!:(
oh yeah just in case I didn't mention this do I need to use any special type of speakers to get really god sound, or is their a certain type made for studio work etc???
:confused: Aslo I read the guys post below about recording and could someone please explain a pre amp better, what does it look like, do, how much for a good one, can it not be done on a computer etc...thanks:mad: This shizm's annoying!

ok..lets see

if u r geting a computer i assume ur going to use samples in your compositions, hiphop or whatever mixing it live its a totally diferent approach from headphones, in my oppinion both are good. Plus at night if u get inspired, ur neighbours will apreciate.
Of course its better to buy studio monitors but if you are starting you can use your hi-fi speakers and amp to start with. Keep in mind that you need punch, sub-bass... also buy a good mic.

thanks...also

Yeah, I'm going to be using samples, and probably no live instruments. Do you think I should get sub bass included in my computer setup for now, like a woofer.
What exactly are monitors? explain as much as you can, it will help. How much for a good set? thanks

monitor

monitors are speakers, the term is more suitable. You can buy a studio quality ones from various brands or on the cheap side use hi-fi ones, to give u punch if u buy floor speakers they will give u more bass. Studio monitors are more clear in all the frequency range. Alesis as nice ones for the price, then its all the way up to more expensive stuff, genelec,etc.

I have a pair of krk expose 8 monitors (3700.00$)
they are awsome but u have to keep in mind that most people in the world do not listen to thousand dollar monitors ... mostly car and home stereo..
Get a really good set of hi fi home speakers and a really good amp ,thats the key..
I use both and i always monitor my mixes in the car . burn a copy of the song and take a ride ..
Remember to listen to multiple cds thro what ever system u are running on so u can get an idea of what things should sound like ...
this goes for all types of music..

Yeah, I agree, thanks I heard....

I heard that normal speakers if set to close to the computer you could mess your computer bad due to metal interference or something, computer speakers have a sheild against this, that's why good, so if you get noraml speakers I'd put them a meter altleast from the computer...I'm still not really sure what I wanna get, but I'd like to be able to play out loud, with best quality/clearity of normal speakers, but nothing that's above or different than the average ghetto or home system. What are some studio level norm speakers at good cost....???:D

KRK, genelec, alesis and yamaha, they rock good monitors from $400.
The alesis have powered ones so u dont need an amplifier and they play good.

just remember two things and you will be fine.
dont use headphones exclusively, they wont give you a true idea of what your tracks are actually sounding like. when you go and play them on speakers you will have highs that are too quiet and probably no bass.
also be carefull about setting up your speakers, you want them to be as true as they can be, not providing thumping bass or great sounds. if this is the case you will be in for a shock when you take your tracks to places to let people hear them.

Back