Understanding EQ / Everthing in its own space

Status
Not open for further replies.
tim20, i just want to say be encouraged. i am truly sorry for your loss.
i pray you have your health, and know that you are in my prayers.
look forward to hearing from you once you are back putting it down hard. stay up!

Geez thats a terrible thing that happened to you Tim, hope all gets better man, i know loosing all ur work and equipment must be head, keep ur head up

Tim20 said:
Hi all,
All I can say is wow to the response to this thread. Been going for almost 5 years. I have been away for over 1 year, I lost my house and studio to a major fire, and I am just getting back to a normal life. It will be a few more months before the studio will be up and running and I might have to go back and read up on my own work as well as the other great contributors, because what you don't use you lose and after over 1 year of not touching a mixer or instrument I feel like I am just starting all over again.

I do look forward to getting back into mixing and recording.

tim

damn man.... i just had to say glad to hear that you're ok and getting your life back together...

go to soundonsound.com you will find everything there talking about in this forum... any engineer will most likely tell you the same.

Great info, thanks for sharing the knowledge. The is probably the are i need the most improvement in and i appreciate this thread. Peace and thanks FP fam.... i would love any advice on my mixes..

was good

yo j... you are off da hook ma dude. uhhhhggg... your on a neo soul trip... respectz ma dude.. i will cop dat "just relax" joint.. keep dem bangers crackin... peace

This EQ thing was definetely the MOST IMPORTANT thing I read on FP and anywhere.

Since I started to deal with EQ things to its place and started to deal with frequencies and the way they effect each other my sound developed to whole another level.

Since I simply cut my bass frequencies out of my pianos, strings or any lead instrument my bass drum started to hit like it never did before. My bassline also not lost in the mix anymore.

I'm starting to realize that the most important and biggest advices I been gave are the simpliest ones, like how to use EQ or don't overcompress, ....

A million thanks for the info & tables! Immensely helpful!
2 Tim20: terribly sorry for your loss -- my prayers are with you, man!

Ok so now we know that the lower freq's need to be restrained just a little, so we put some roll off below 50.

What does this mean?
I understand everything until i get here.
This is where i get confused and lost.
PLEASE HELP!
Anyone feel free 2 let me know. Reply with a post or PM me.
Either is fine.
Thanx a ton.
-AC

I don't know how good my tracks sound to a professional, however I generally use presets untill i learn how to eq each track individually.

T.Mill said:
I don't know how good my tracks sound to a professional, however I generally use presets untill i learn how to eq each track individually.

id suggest not really using eq presets, as say, a preset snare EQ doesnt actually know what your original snare sounds like, and your snare could be in a completley different frequency range to their snare.

instead, id use an eq and experiment with gentle boosts and cuts to various ranges, there has been plenty of posts in this thread regarding useful frequency areas to note, such as 2.5khz, 100hz, 85 hz, 18khz and up etc. (there are loads for different types of sounds characteristics)

each of these has different properties, and learning what they are will help you know end.

use your ears above all though.

Some terms in this thread that confuse me:

Roll off - ''Roll of at 300hz''
Cut - How do you cut?
Boost - ''Boost at 24kh''. what is boost, and how do you do it?

When giving frequencies, do you usually mean that in the maximum, or minimum or what?

Music From Iran said:
Some terms in this thread that confuse me:

Roll off - ''Roll of at 300hz''
Cut - How do you cut?
Boost - ''Boost at 24kh''. what is boost, and how do you do it?

When giving frequencies, do you usually mean that in the maximum, or minimum or what?

"boost at 300hz" means increasing the volume at 300Hz with EQ

cut and roll off means lowering the volume of a certain frequency

when they talk about frequencies it's always means EQ

can some one explain to me what roll off means? My beats are spread out panning wise, volume automation, and arranged great but I can never get the right bass sound and when I do it eats my kick alive and I lose my "lower end mix" I'm using digi rack pro tools plugins. If any one thinks they can help me god bless them cause I've been pulling my hair out over this one. I also dont understand compression? (if anyone can give a summery that) this is my first day on this site but I'm really impressed with the knowledge you guys are dropping on this blog.
Dave Evangelist
Devangelist@mac.com

I am happy someone took the time to explain all this....my beats are hot but the mix is wack...i need as much help as possible lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back