Understanding EQ / Everthing in its own space

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may be the single, best thread i've read on EQ on this board. Naturally the more you read and experiment the more light is shed on the subject, but a thread like this is valuable because there is a lot of "START" here info...

good work all of you... this sight continues to be the best source of musical information on the net...:cheers:

is there anyway someone could maybe make a quick vid, where they are putting one of the suggestions to use.

I'm not too sure what it means when it says "roll off" or "boost", i have an idea, but i'm not completely sure.

can someone make a vid, where they take a simple beat, and put some of these guidelines to use.

man i just do it by ear. Tweak it until i feel good.
Sometimes it works.....sometimes it doesn't.

ONE

this is really helpful but I have a question and I'm sorry if it's stupid but when you guys say somthing like this:

Kick Drum

Any apparent muddiness can be rolled off around 300Hz. Try a small boost around 5-7kHz to add some high end.

50-100Hz ~ Adds bottom to the sound
100-250Hz ~ Adds roundness
250-800Hz ~ Muddiness Area
5-8kHz ~ Adds high end prescence
8-12kHz ~ Adds Hiss

how can you aplly this on reason I mean when I use the Equalizer there is the five buttons and every one has a range of freqs so when you say "boost" the freqency what do you mean by that exacty.
can someone please explain

mkk911 said:
how can you aplly this on reason I mean when I use the Equalizer there is the five buttons and every one has a range of freqs so when you say "boost" the freqency what do you mean by that exacty.
can someone please explain

Picture the Eq "knob" is a clock,zero is at the 12 o'clock position. You are boosting, when you turn the knob to the right, and cutting when you turn it to the left.

When you boost you are adding more then the original signal.
Cutting removes from the orignal signal.

ckat said:
Picture the Eq "knob" is a clock,zero is at the 12 o'clock position. You are boosting, when you turn the knob to the right, and cutting when you turn it to the left.

When you boost you are adding more then the original signal.
Cutting removes from the orignal signal.

ok I understand what you said but what does the "gain" knob do?

The gain knob as a pre volume control. It is usefull in turning up a quiet source or turning down a loud source. It is a good practice to use the gain to get all your input levels at the same threshold. This gives you headroom to adjust things. For example if you have a line input that is too loud, you will only be able to turn up your volume faders up a little bit before it gets too loud and distorted. If the level is to low you will be able to turn the slider all the way up and it still wont be loud enough.

I think the brass in Hypersonic 2 are a little bright. How would i go about EQing to get them warmer and fuller.

I use Event TR8XL monitors. And because the bass-end in comparison to the highs and mid, is too much (volume) I thought I could maybe use an uqualizer to tone down the bass end a bit. But I dont know how I should set the equalizer up rolling down at what frequency without introducing holes in the frequency response of the TR8XL..
I mean, Im doing it right now, with my PC just eqaually lowering the low end on some soft-equalizer while I listen to pressed CD's
By doing this, the mid and highs on these suddenly come forth and the TR8 doesnt sound as muffled and boxed/bass heavy anymore
Well the bassheavines is stil there, just not as much. Enough for me to listen and controll the low end. But not too loud to overrule the mids and highs.

Can you help me out? And also please reccomend a cheap equalizer to buy that can do this job..

Last edited:
Big Money Dilly said:
Just to make sure im getting it right, Roll-Off means? When someone says roll off at say 250Hz, does that mean cut the frequencies below 250hz or cut the frequencies above 250hz?

I looked at the Glossary on this site, but wasn't sure still.

Hope someone can clarify this basic term. Thanks!

Rolling off can happen in either direction.
It depends upon if they say "...roll off above..." or "...roll off below..".

But remember that rolling off creates a slope in the frequency response from the end of the spectrum to to the roll off point (corner frequency).

If somebody doesn't tell you if it's above or below, they didn't give you enough information.

Excellent content guys. I think that posts that enable people to get an overview of the "Big Picture" like this are extremely effective, with respect to training.

Not only can they see how to do it right, they suddenly realise why their current mixes sound like Ca-Ca Poo-Poo.

Good Jawb

I need help EQuing

So, until reading this post, I thought Future Producer people were just dudes who sat around and dorked around with Fruity Loops and stuff. I was very wrong. Here is my problem: I have been making beats on the MPC 2000xl for a couple years now...Over the last year I have begun to take it seriously, its basically all I do other than work. My beats sound great through my monitors, good through my headphones, but they sound weak when I put em into WAV files and burn em to cd or pu em in my ipod. I understand that WAVs are not sonically beautiful, but I feel that my problem has more to do with eq and maybe a little panning to fill things out. So, now that Tim has enlightened me to some great ideas on eq, how do I achieve that. I currently dont own a computer, though I am looking at the MAc pro laptop. I have heard of equing with a mixer, but that is all ear, right? cause, on a mixer you cant see the actual number on the frequency range. What is the most simple program I can use to eq my beats on the computer. I beleive in user friendly stuff, cause it doesnt stifle creativity. basically my friends, how do suggest I eq my beats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back