trouble with distortion on max volume

mudil

Hey guys am new here.. been having problem with my final mix which i think its my compression..each time i compare my final mix with a commercial Cd my mix distorts on the max volume while the commercial Cd dont..Please can some one tell me whats likely to be the problem..i have tried different techniques trying to compress but it wont make no difference..ill be happy to read back from any one who got an advice on what to do

levels too high?
What software do you use?
How do you master? Do you have theoretical knowledge about mastering?
Do you have an example for us?
Do you have an AI and monitor speakers to reference test your mix?
Did you listen to your mix on different systems before making it final?

Does distorting at max volume mean that your track literally only distorts at max volume? If so that really sounds like a flaw in the playback system that your tracks are exposing. Most commercial audio systems, in my experience, can be made louder than than they're designed to handle. And the speakers and amps are different components that amp could overpower the speakers. Also they may well distort differently at different frequencies. It could be that your track has frequency content that happens to distort more readily at the top end of the playback system in question. I would guess the problem area is a lower frequency.

The other possible culprit is that your track is limited to 0db and you're hearing momentary >0db peaks. But, to be honest, plenty of commercial tracks peak over 0db and it's not readily noticeable.

On the other hand you might mean that your track is distorted it's just more obvious at max volume, in which case it's a production issue. You should always have a limiter at the end. Compressors can introduce distortion. Your samples might have distortion built into them.

thanks guys for your responds ..am trying to find out a different technique to compressing it..ill post the audio soon so you guys can listen and give me the best advice ..thanks and God bless

hello guys i have been able to come up with a final mix please advice me.. played on a boom box,phones ,laptop and a car sounds some how ok but.... i am not allowed to post a link yet becos i dont have much posts yet

Taking a break from producing myself since I found a new toy called synthedit.
Ask yourself why you're using these effects and how they are being used.

Back