trouble completing projects

Danny Bigsby

hey people
I have been making my own rap/hip-hop music for sometime now in hopes to make some money off it someday. i make beats and i also write lyrics to them. I am in the proccess of putting together a rap "mixtape" and an instrumental beat tape.
ive found that ive had trouble finalizing a lot of my songs. weather it is something i need to change to the beat or some lyrics i would like to change and/or redo.. have trouble getting my songs out of a demo stage because i'm never satisfied with the mix. or just cant help but start a new project becuase i only have so much time to record.
when and if i do re-record my vocals, i can never get the delivery to sound as raw and organic as the first time . i like a nice natural sound
i am now sitting on a few years of unfinished ideas/tracks and would like to finish them, but i keep finding myself habitually getting looped up in the proces. my studio is at home in my room and i only have little time to record due to other people living with me , and they can hear me . so it makes me record everything quick as possible . which can be good and bad.
ive made some effort to go back, just cant seem to get the wheels rolling as i'd like to..
all this has been leading me to feel doubtfull and frustrated of my music contemplating a different career choice

any tips or advice can be helpful thanks guys.

I am in the same exact boat, ive been working for a few years now with minimal final results. I can hardly get the takes right so i can only assume a vocal coach is the best way to go in my situation. However whenever i get a studio session, the vocal takes seem to be a lot better, but idk if that's just inconsistencies with my performance, or a real studio does that much for the process.

I am in the same exact boat, ive been working for a few years now with minimal final results. I can hardly get the takes right so i can only assume a vocal coach is the best way to go in my situation. However whenever i get a studio session, the vocal takes seem to be a lot better, but idk if that's just inconsistencies with my performance, or a real studio does that much for the process.

sounds to me like you both don't have any real focus.

-on the vocal aspect of you and danny's problem, you guys might be the type of people who don't like hearing their voice recorded. I know I don't. the solution? create a character. I am not who I am on record. rick ross, lil kim, etc. you have to create an image. you voice sucks? create a new one. its called theater of the mind. another idea would be to pitch your vocals. whatever you do you must find your voice and recognize what kind of an artist are you.

-to danny. any unstable environment will cause you to not have a good creative output so you can either muscle through it or move the hell out asap. if you've been at this for years and still can't get a decent sound then my friend it is time for a new approach. take a step back, draw out a plan of what you are going to do, and start up again. you have to have a plan. something you can see.

I hope this helps fellas.

I'm in the same step as you and what I've been doing is finishing no matter what it doesn't matter if I'm not happy with it I keep pushing till I have a limiter on the master and its bounced out as a mp3

If you're struggling to finish projects or individual songs, it's more than likely because you're not really that into them. I get this with a lot of the artists I work with, I can send them a beat & they take weeks to finish the track, then I can be with them in the studio & play a beat & we can write & record a song in hours. You just need to find something that inspires you, either a different topic to write about, or some new beats to write to

Back