Trap music mastering. Need help!

JVSTDARE

[FONT=&quot]Hello ! I produce music for about 2 years now and i am currently trying to master this track : [/FONT][FONT=&quot]https://soundcloud.com/jvstdareofficial/jvstdare-twisted-night-1[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The problem is i can't get it louder, i mixed everything and i masterd it using OTT, but i can't get it to sound as loud as professional Trap. Can you help me and try to find what is wrong ?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Thank you ![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]- JVSTDARE[/FONT]

I had this problem too. just say fuck it and make it loud but dynamic( the kick can easily be heard and not the same level as everything else)
Or just use maximus and the clean master rms preset and you could boost the post gain( purple one on the Master section)

Last edited:
Hello ! Thank you for replying ! The problem is in the mix, the snare is way too loud compared to everything else... When i lower his volume, we can't hear him anymore, but if I don't lower him, i can't crank up the volume...

- JVSTDARE

I think i finally did it. Is it possible to compress it even more or will it be too much ?

Attachments

• JVSTDARE - Twisted Night.mp3
    2.6 MB · Views: 36
I think every producer runs into this issue. I know I sure have.

What you have to realize is that the "pros" who are uploading new songs compress and gain the fuck out of everything.

The goal these days isn't about getting a nice mix with dynamic range... it is loudness.

How can I get my music louder.

I used to put a fuck ton of gain on my music and it still wasn't loud enough..

My personal issue was that my faders were too low for my chords and melody!

So maybe that will help you. Try turning up ur faders on the melody / chords.

------
EyeAm.
The Masked Man.
EyeAm. The Masked Man. [Producer / Engineer] – Self Growth

Once you are finished mastering it, use a compressor to raise the volume. Do NOT go over 0.00Db however. It should sound louder enough just at or a little under that limit after mastering the low, mid, and high-ends.

I check 3 main things with mastering.

1.) Frequency Range: Although it may seem like there isn't much frequency activity below 30hz or higher than 20khz, I always make sure to cutoff this range with a high pass/low pass filter. Not really a big deal, but it does clean up the sound. The goal of mastering is to pretty much level out and fill this range with as much sound info. as possible. That being said, how you approach this is really grey area.

2.) Volume: Make sure your most prominent (for trap sounds [i.e bass/kick, snare, hats]) sounds that actually carry and progress the track are the loudest. I usually use a couple different 808s, and sidechain them with kicks depinding on how bassy (aggressive/dark) the track is. Just make sure that when you're composition is in place and the track is structured pretty solidly to measure your levels (also meaning have every sound tracked to a mixer!!). I usually run snares at -6db and have the hats a little lower. As for the bass.. it really depends on what the artist or target market you're looking for. I try to keep kicks a little louder than the bass, but still maintain a solid level (louder than samples/pads/leads).

3.) Mono/Stereo sound: I also isolate the mono sounds and check those vs. the ones that are stereo separated (like left and right surround). This can be achieved through reverb and stereo separation plugins but basically it's letting each sound be heard more clearly by giving them a little spot in the song's environment. Sound IS three dimensional; you can hear things above, below, to the right and left, and also by adding different reverb tail lengths you can give a song major depth perception within your sounds.

Hopefully this helps, and as a tip for the master track I run a couple EQ's first (one tight and surgical to reduce "ringing," another more smooth for boosts/cuts), a compressor for slight gluing and bringing up softer sounds, and a limiter when it's all said and done. My biggest rookie mistake was mixing with the limiter already on the master so everything was distorted yet at "0db" so you couldn't really tell that it was not as expressive as it could've been.

- Pool

Hi everyone!

I'm building a portfolio and gaining experience, thus I'm offering free mixing and mastering of your tracks.
I will put a lot of effort into improving sound of your track a bit at least. Just send me up to 48 tracks/stems in 16/24 bit wav format and I'll mix and master it as soon as possible.
It's an offer worth trying I think
icon_e_smile.gif

https://soundcloud.com/user-82329170

info [at] 5secondsmedia.com

Cheers!
Michal

Back