track bypass and mastering

illformula

I have on the master track a l3 limiter, Ssl comp and there both bypassed on the master fader but they are still affecting the track in some way because it is not peaking when I turn the master fader all the way up. It sounds kinda good with the master fader at +12 and all the plug ins on the master fader bypassed. Can someone tell me why this is happening and why I shouldn't do this for my final master?

DAW technology makes it that it pretty much will never clip inside your daw. But if you export that it will sound like shit.

It's possible that when you hit bypass in your limiter, it may still be limiting based on the ceiling that you set. At least that's the way it works in the one I use (Tone Booster's Barricade). Perhaps l3 is the same way? I would advise checking to see what the bypass button actually does.

In Barricade, the bypass only disables the makeup gain so you can isolate the effects of limiting. If you want a "true bypass", just switch the plugins off.

(Something to try; pull your limiter's ceiling down while it's bypassed and see if anything changes).

It kinda sounded a little no sense too. Now about the by passing, If you think those plug-ins you bypass are still affecting your master track, what i actually do is open a stereo track grab the plug-in from the master and pass it to the stereo track just to take it completed out of the master and then check.

Back