Too low!

fathomsome

I've been listening to my mix on different things (on monitors, in different headphones, from my macbook, and in my car) trying to mix my track, and so far in my car it has been the quietest. Which is fine, it doesn't have to be loud, but it's to the point where I have to crank it to be able to hear it. It is plugged into my car with an aux cord. I tried changing which one I gained first, and it just made a difference in the sound quality. Anyone have any advice?

Not sure what you mean by this --> "I tried changing which one I gained first, and it just made a difference in the sound quality."

As AdyAcoca said, seems like being too quiet in the car is a symptom of you need to still work on your mixdown. It took me producing several tracks from start to finish before I had any clue what I was doing wrong in that regard. Clarity and headroom is everything. Get more aggressive than you think you need to be in cutting frequencies from your individual instruments and tracks (i.e. EQ them). This will create more breathing room between the elements and the track as a whole, and then you can push up the volume of the entire mix in the end. I'm really simplifying it and there are lots of tutorials on mixing and mastering, but that's the basic gist. :)

Back