Tips and Tricks about Sampling?

BetaBite

A.I. Records
View attachment Test.mp3

This is my first attempt at sampling.
Sadly, I'm at like, five years of production experience,
though just recently trying to get in to hip-hop.
What I made sounds terrible to me, and I would appreciate any tips/tricks on sampling, in general or for this song in particular.

Thanks in advance!

It sounds like you literally threw drums on top of a sample without even tryin to make it fit BPM wise. You didn't even have a kick at all, although you did have a bassline. I like that in ya lol. First off all take that whole sample off. I can't even tell if you chopped it at all. It sounds like you were at a show with your MPC while your friend was playin the piano. Lol well enough of that.

One thing's for sure you need alota work. With 5 years of experience what were you actually doin? I understand you may not've been the best sampler but you could've been able to throw a decent track together. Before I'd give you any advice I'd suggest you listen to some sample-based hip-hop music. Such as Kanye West or the Heatmakerz.

I appreciate your feedback!
I also forgot to mention, that I had been doing house music for five years in FL studio, and I just RECENTLY moved in to Ableton Live.
So I'm in a whole new world and can't produce for crap.. Haha, I'm chuggin' along though. :P
I also read that it was better to chop up the track as-is without chopping to MIDI.
But disregarding that would it be better if I threw it on a drum rack and used my drum pads instead?

Also I would appreciate feedback on this as well?

View attachment Untitled Beat.mp3

It was also done with Ableton, but without the stress of sampling.

Idk what you mean by choppin to Midi, although I do have an idea. I guess you could say I chop up samples as-is, I use the MPC 1000. But yeah that beat's way better then the first. So you're not that much a beginner but maybe to Hip-Hop. As far as samplin' goes, I'd say chop that sh!t up. Cause you can play it out how the original song would go & add variations at the same time. Listen to great music & just practice.

Alright, thanks man. I really appreciated the help!
I don't know what you use, but in Ableton, you have to 'Chop to MIDI' to use them on the pads.
I use the MPK49, so our equipment isn't too far off. I'll play around with it for a while and listen to more Kanye West. :P

Alright, thanks man. I really appreciated the help!
I don't know what you use, but in Ableton, you have to 'Chop to MIDI' to use them on the pads.
I use the MPK49, so our equipment isn't too far off. I'll play around with it for a while and listen to more Kanye West. :P

Lol.. I think that's kinda similar to Slicex in FL Studio. But all I use is the MPC to chop samples. I wish it had a Chop to Midi, it'd prly make it like an ASR (what Kanye uses)

in ableton its called "slice to midi" it takes specific points you've marked and maps it across midi notes that is controlled by a controller (keyboard, pads, whatever). I use to have a mpc 1000...its the equivalent of cutting up your samples and placing them on the pads.

in ableton its called "slice to midi" it takes specific points you've marked and maps it across midi notes that is controlled by a controller (keyboard, pads, whatever). I use to have a mpc 1000...its the equivalent of cutting up your samples and placing them on the pads.

In a way, without makin more WAV files. That's why I said it's like an ASR.

The ASR 10 saves a lot of memory as K.E said, it does not create more wav files. You chop everything and they are all spread across your keyboard. Something comparable to the ASR 10 is Edison/Fruity Slicer in FL Studio , Where you are able to do the same thing. I have an MPC also but I prefer to use it for simple sampling and drums. The laying of the sample pattern is really good on the ASR 10 or Fl Slicer, There you are able to adjust the pitch and sample speed accordingly at a faster rate. In regards to your beat. Beta bite, You need to work on your choppin skills, and make sure your drums are always tight with your sample. "If the drums and tight, the beat aint right" -Havoc , one of the best samplers out there. It is important for your bass to be in tune with your sample. Also work on using eqs for your drums and filters for your sample so everything is in tune and sounds connected..As a sampler you are another kind of composer, one who is trying to bring together all the pieces, Its different in compared to the "tinky tinky" producer.(9th Wonder explains that thats one who makes the original new sounding beats) lol. Speaking of 9th, like KE said, listen to him, Kanye, Havoc, J Dilla, DJ Premier, RZA, Alchemist, and others because you will learn a lot and also be inspired :cheers:

---------- Post added at 12:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 PM ----------

Facebook: Jbeats The Producer, and Ill Show you my music ..some sample examples

Back