Tips for Making Sub and Kick Pop Even on Laptop Speakers

Rei Music

Anyone got any tips for mixing sub and kick so that they really pop through on laptop speakers? I think that's something that really separates the top line stuff from the amateur. I remember reading somewhere that 40 mixed Drake's 'Headlines' solely for laptop speakers. They broke some rules but I thought it sounded dope, even if the vocals did lose some shine.

We used some sidechaining between sub and kick on our mix here, and kept a lot of the highs on the kick. What else could we do?

What you are after is how to mix & master.
Equalizers & correct effects as well as arrangement and instrument separation.

Quick tip: layer your low-end heavy kick drum with a click sound (not lowend heavy at all). That way, when the kick hits, the click will cut through as well to make it cut through

Harmonic boosting and/or harmonic saturation will help your low end presence on smaller speakers like laptops and smartphones.

One way to do it:

First, find the mid-point frequency of your bass. You can then multiply that frequency by 2, as a rough estimate on what the harmonic tone is.

Then, using a multi-band compressor, raise the dB on that harmonic tone.

If you don't mind a little saturation, you can really crank up the compression on that band.

Alternatively, Waves has a plugin called "MaxxBass". It's a plug-in made specifically for making low end more audible on multiple platforms.

Back