tips/info request re- recording drum track

smg

Getting ready to record a bunch of material and I'd appreciate hearing the ideas of more experienced producers about specific aspects of what I want to focus on-

I'm using a ZOOM RT 223 and a TASCAM DP08FX-anyone who has used or currently uses either/both I'd be especially interested in getting the benefit of your knowledge.... or if you use different gear but still have dealt with the following;here's what I'm thinking about-

In terms of the ZOOM itself,it has a function called COMP EQ that allows you to edit the sound and I've worked w/that to get some setting options that work-but I'd appreciate any tips re- pitch used for kick/snare/HH and parameters re-EQ/compression etc....

The TASCAM also has a bunch of sound editing options,both for making initial tracks and in the mixdown/mastering mode.....I'm wondering how these will work in conjunction w/the COMP EQ settings on the ZOOM-

Also I've read about recording each component of the beat to a separate track,EQ'ng etc each individually (then to stereo master track for more sound editing?).... Is this the best way to get the sounds right?

My focus,in contrast to someone who's mainly about working w/recording/production ,has been on developing a lot of material on the keyboard and figuring out what kinds of beats/tempos work for things....I just got a new keyboard w/a 16 track recorder that has a mixer built in to set the pan/track levels so I've started getting familiar w/how to develop things and want to get into transferring things to the TASCAM....

All replies welcome,thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
Back