Tips to improve my mix

I like the primary synth melody. It's really grabby, with it's poppy selection of notes and percussive rhythm. The chorus sounds really big and wide, which is nice. I love the thickness of the chorus synth layers.

I hesitate to mention these things, because it's all preference based, and that is likely based on style. I tend not to listen to such simplistic EDM. In my opinion, the intro is too long and too simple. Then the beat cuts out for a very long time. And I'm really not a fan of that fast snare, then super fast snare, then uber fast snare as a method to build tension. In my opinion, that sounds very early 2000's techno, very dated. But, as I said, it's my opinion, and this isn't my favorite genre. (What genre would you call this? House? I have no idea, haha.) Clicky kick drum is also not to my preference, but also probably part of the genre.

If it were me, I'd build off what you have to include more sonic variety. Separate verse and chorus synth leads, maybe even a bridge lead too. That way, the song isn't about transitioning into and out of one interesting sonic idea, but instead transitioning between two or three interesting sonic ideas. The variety of sections would carry much more attention, in my opinion. Also, that would give you fodder for more interesting intros, outros, and transitions that don't leave the listener bored waiting for the next section, since you'd have more melodies and instruments to choose from for the transitional sections. That could enable you to avoid relying so heavily on the overused techno transition ploys of the early 2000's.

After adding sectional variety, I would focus on adding lighter, non-thematic synth and sound effect parts to add complexity, diversity, and interest; particularly during intros, outros, and transitions. Some bleeps and bloops, some fragments of an arpeggio, a nibble of a synth patch freaking out, or really anything that will add a little spice. Not to add pork to a chicken dish, but perhaps a touch of dried bell pepper flakes and a dash of garlic salt to the chicken dish you already have that is almost finished, if you follow the analogy. You're not reinventing the 2-3 sound sections I recommend having, just embellishing.

Still, the bassline and melody you already have work really well together. Perfectly married. And the sidechain compression fits very well. I'm not listening on the best speakers at the moment, so I can't speak for the subtleties, but I'm not hearing any major engineering goofs. Mix seems solid. I think you've got the core of a very good song, but it just needs variety.

The overall song is pretty good. The sidechain was calibrated well, punchy and sharp.

I feel like there is a little too much going on the mid to high mid range. Might want to dial back on the 2-3kHz range on the...I'm not sure what EDM producers call it (hook? chorus?). Turning down the volume really low and it still stands out like a sore thumb which could really hurt the ears of club goers.

A little less "click" in the kick drum could also help improve the overall balance and give you some headroom if you are looking to get super loud in mastering. Just a little....

And as Milo Burke said, some interest should be added. You don't even need to change the arrangement if you are feeling lazy. Just play with some LFOs and modulation, you'll be surprised how much you can achieve with that. Its also fun if you have a midi controller or turntable.

Back