Tips on how to achieve this vocal sound?

Jcool

For a while now I have noticed that Chris Brown has been layering his vocals with a lot of harmonies. Sometimes it also sounds like a chorus/flanger effect is being used and it gives off a type of robotic effect that sounds authentic and (in my opinion) not bad. Also in a few songs like Loyal, Fine China and Show Me there are some parts where he gets very high pitched; I'm assuming that he is maybe recording a few semitones down and then raising it up to once again be in key to hit those higher notes because it almost sounds out of his natural vocal range but still produces an enjoyable sound. Am I missing any key factors to achieving this sound? I try everything I have mentioned here but it just doesn't sound as good. The only thing I can think of is that without pitch correction my singing capabilities are definitely not up to par with his, but at the same time this robotic-type sound all seems part of the mixing process anyway. Some examples I can think of off the top of my head: Show Me, Fine China, Loyal, Ayo

Could possibly be that the note itself isn't higher but the formant is. Have a look at tools like Melodyne and see if it can give you the result you want :)

Back