Thoughts on being a Artist/ Producer ?....

Magical_

What are your thoughts on those who record their own voice over their own original instrumentals / beats? (e.g. Calvin Harris, Pharrell, Kanye West) is it realistic, overly ambitious, impressive.. ?!

Feedback will be appreciated :D

Hi,

It's pretty cool.

Here's a little random feedback.

If you only sing and don't help out in the production process, it limits you from truly expressing yourself. Although, there are exceptions, but not many.

Creating your own beat or instrument and then singing over it, literally, opens up a new world of creativity and opportunity. It allows you to fully express yourself and portray your message better. Again, there are exceptions.

There are times when an artist finds that perfect instrumental that is just what they were looking for and then the magic happens! But that doesn't happen often.

You'd be surprised how many artists help out during the beat making process. For example, Drake. One would assume that his producer "40" makes a beat and then gives it to Drake, but that isn't true.

Drake & 40 sit and vibe out in the studio. They drink, smoke, and they BOTH come up with a beat. Of course, 40 is the one doing all the technical stuff (editing, mixing etc.) but Drake is right there with him coming up with the ideas and melodies.

On the other than, everyone thinks Kanye West makes beats on his own. He did that back in the day. Today, there are 5 to 10 professional sound designers, composers, and engineers making beats/instrumentals with him! He also has writers helping out with lyrics as do most artists.

There are many artists who both rap/sing and producer, but it's not only them. They have help. There's nothing wrong with a little help. Two minds are better than one.

At the end of the day, as long as the artist can properly and naturally express themselves, it's a job well done.

Hope this helped,
Devin

Last edited:
Singing over a song you made = overly ambitious? I'd say it's pretty normal :) I mean, I understand what you mean, but still - that's what it is. That's what people who write songs do.

I wouldn't advise anyone to be both an artist and producer as we are all on borrowed time and depending on an individual's lifestyle, time has to be set aside to do what we want. It is realistic if you don't compare yourself to anyone who is famous, infamous, obscure, etc. as none of us knows how much time the celebs many people idolize put in to achieve high (or low, depends) quality and the accolades that people think automatically come with success.

It's better to do one thing extremely well than to have too many outlets and suffer in the process. Plus, this is the era where everybody and their Mama (or other relative) is trying to be an artist, producer and any other title in the industry and everyone wants to be noticed but no one wants to leave the skills they don't have to those who do have them.

I think it's dope and allows the creativity of the producer to come full circle when it comes to creating a full record. Making the beat sparks new ideas for melodies, lyrics and harmonies allowing the producer to take his vision to the next level vocally.

It depends on the artist but the way I see it is that a musician can be more unique if he can sing and produce the audio himself. You can arrange both the vocals and audio to what's exactly in your head whereas if there's another person involved you have to try to explain the sound that's in your head to him. I'm not saying that collaborations are bad, I'm just saying that some artists prefer to do everything themselves and find that they can express themselves better if they do everything themselves.

Back