thin sounding vocals........aaaahhhhhh

F

filatlarge

I'm working making jingles for a internet radio show, but they are too cheap to buy good quality mics, so I have an average one. when recording the vocals on the pc, I end up with a really thin sound, which is almost impossible to eq nicely.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to keep the best sound out of the equipment I'm using.

I'm using sound forge 5, and cakewalk 9.0

thanks

If you are using a cardioid pattern mic , which you probably are if it is a cheapy , then try recording your vocals very close ( within 6" ). This will give a bass boost to the voice and if you heavily compress that signal it will bring out the lower end of the voice very strongly.

It is important to watch for poping and breath noises when working so close and one way round it is to position the mic so that you are speaking just over the top of it.

Hope this helps

Acoustic Mirror

Since you have SF5, try some of the acoustic mirror settings. Also, if you haven't download the microphone reflections from SF. Some of the Shure emulations sound good and may give you the extra UMPH that you desire.

thanks

thanks a lot for bith your quick replys. I found those update files and have downloaded them. I'll give them a try next week at work.

thanks again

Back