Is there a plugin that a can give a sound a portamento

L

LilAyUTP

Have 4 sounds in purity layered and i want to port the entire sound any fx?

When I think of a portamento, I think of a pitch bend from one note to the next, so it's a smooth transition instead of a cut n try note change.

I don't know of any plugins that will necessarily do that easily like you're asking... unless it's included within the plugin.

I supposed you could manufacture it yourself by using a pitch bender plugin. If I were going to do it. I would keep the notes the same and use something like Waves Soundshifter or QuikQuak Pitchwheel, and automate the pitch from 1.0 to about the right note. I would use a Guitar Tuner plugin to make sure I got the right note. That will definitely work.. but at the same time is not quick & easy. That might be as good as you can get without using the plugin's portamento.

Last edited:
portamento is a playing technique related to slides on strings or lip smearing in the brass.

As such it is a not an external fx that can be applied to a sound overall, but rather an integral part of playing that sound- so you need to use the portamento continuous controller to control your notes playing your sound and set your purity patch to allow for the portamento to be applied equally to all four layers.....

You could probably use something like Melodyne or Autotune to try to accomplish it to.

The key is that you'd have to play one note and allow the plugin to bend it. For example.. if you're going from middle C to E.... you would play only a C note on your midi controller for the entire loop. Then you would use the pitch bend plugin of your choise to force that sound into an E, by smoothly drawing an automation curve that raises the pitch of the sound.

It'll probably sound like sh-t lmao... but, it might yield interesting results. I never thought of doing this... i might try it on some sounds like some strings tonight to be honest. Good idea CPhoenix!! Thank! lmao

I see (and can auralise) what you are saying cphoenix, and agree that it could be done but at what cost to the integrity of the original sound source - better to play it and manipulate it at source than to use a kludge technique to fix it/apply it after the fact.

^ definitely agree

---------- Post added at 12:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 PM ----------

If it's for hip-hop... it might yield some wacky results that might actually work lol, depending on the song.

Definitely not for any genre where you'd want to keep the integrity of the signal intact like Jazz, Classical, Rock (anything except for hiphop and electronic lol). I couldn't see that working well enough to be convincing.

Yea i was making a trap beat and my lead was purity i already exported ima work on that portamento when my mom leaves she said my shit was too loud -__-

So i should autotune it and play an off note before i want the sound to slide?

im pretty sure u can set portamento fx inside purity, since its 4 different instances of purity u basically have to turn the effect on all 4, throw them on a layer, n ur in business..

Last edited:
I dont know if this i what youre looking for but: let the notes overlap eachother a little bit, make Sure the VST set to mo
"Mono" not poly, adjust release on the sound?

---------- Post added at 02:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 PM ----------

If its Fl studio your using try remove "cut it self"

Back