Is there a difference ?

huyurel

i just saw something similar to this in another post, but i want to know if theres actually a difference between a condenser mic like an AT2020, and an expensive thousand dollar mic like a nueman, could you really hear the difference after everything is mixed and mastered proffessionally ?

Yeah, there probably is a difference. Is the difference worth it? Not if you don't have the money for it. I don't have either, however I have a $40 and $100 mic. There is a very noticeable difference between the two that didn't become apparent untIL I started mixing with recordings done on both.

Should you save up for a $1000 mic? I don't know, but you can probably get what you need from a $200 mic.

Yeah, there's definitely a difference. It's not just about the price. You could have two different microphones that are priced the same and they could sound completely different. Think of a drum kit where you could have a bunch of different microphones for the entire kit. Each microphone has a specialized function.

A lot of cheaper condensers can sound harsh in a high end. Even the lesser expensive Neumann TLM103 sounds pretty smooth on the high end and has good low end body for vocals. Not to say there's no decent cheaper mics, but you do get a more with many higher-end mics. It's not just the microphones, it's also more likely that a studio with a great mic also has a great pre to go with it.

To add to what sleepy said, it's yet another scenario of "it depends" :) While more expensive mics can be generally to said to be "better" it doesn't mean they're automatically better for the task at hand. For example, the lowly SM57 is a classic mic for recording guitar amps - it's been used on countless of records, even though the recordists might have access to the most expensive mics in the world. It just often sounds right. I personally tend to think any mic is usable, given the right context - but good mics tend to be easier to mix. They just sit in there smoothly. This, of course, is a horrible generalization...

I think it also should be said that even the best mic isn't some kind of a magic shortcut to a great sound. Put it in front of an average performer in a less-than-ideal space, and it'll still sound like an average performer in a less-than-ideal space. It's just one step closer (and adding a good mic pre is one extra baby-step closer).

Another microphone that is standard across many radio stations is the RE20. Great mic due to its minimal proximity effect. I have one and frankly, I never really used it because I wasn't a huge fan of the sound I got from it. Not that it isn't a great mic but for what I want, I feel like I got more from a SM58 (almost same as SM57 that Krushing mentioned).

Just driving the point home that it's not just about expensive or standard, but also about taste.

Back