TASCAM vs Yamaha n8

rza5000

Besides a 400 dollar difference which one would give me the best performance. Have never recored one beat or mix one beat outside of what I can do on my mpc. For a extra 400 bucks is the n8 worth it or would I be better served with the Tascam 1082

I have a tascam 1082 and I love it. It is so much with ease.. It seems as though the yamaha is being build after a full console board and since I use effect from the software which most people do and it no gain for me. I love the fact that the Tascam allow you to use auto slide feature with the faders, this is what really sold me on this machine. for the money for the yamaha u can go a step up to the Tascam 1884 for a few more hundred. depending of your sacle of you studio setup

Depends on what you want, the n8 is a real mixer where as the tascam is a "mixer-style" control surface/audio interface. You can't use the tascam without a computer. Pretty much anything you do with the tascam is going to be in the box. Look at what you need tho, do you need all the midi i/o that the tascam offer, do you need to be able to use the mixer stand alone without a computer, do you have outboard efx that you want to use? Both are good at what they do, neither is a complete POS, you just have to look at the features and see what best suits u. If i say fck that, get the n12, are you gonna do it? Especially if you only have 1 mic and a cd player to hook up? Don't let something silly like cool lookin motorized faders sway you if it won't benefit you at all. Print out the specs for both and X out and check mark what you do and don't want in a mixer, in the end, the one with the most check marks should be your choice.
LevLove

Thats just the thing. Im not sure what alot of that stuff is. Right now I use a omega lexicon but I havent used it to record anything. Its only use for me is to have my mpc and rack going into it so they can both feed out through my monitors. Thee thing is I have another rack I need to add to my setup and the lexicon only has 4 line inputs so two are for the mpc and the other two are for the rack. So asides from needing something to record into my Daw I need mopr inputs for more racks. Other than that the omega would be fine

Last edited:
Hi Y'all

Just as levlove said, it depends on what you're after. I've had the pleasure of having both the Tascam and N8.
In my honest opinion I prefer the N8's pre-amps and inbuilt reverb unit. I tend to find that after recording a source, say vocals or guitar, very little mixing needs to be done afterwards.
and it also comes (as you already know) with the sweet spot morphing compressor.
I didn't like the sound of the Tascam although I find it good for recording guitars.
In a nutshell my preference is the N8 and it also depends what you're looking to acheive.
All the best!:cheers:

Mixers and mixing control surfaces are a waste of money. Buy some pre amps or plug-ins. They will actually help you achieve a better sound.

Depends on what you want, the n8 is a real mixer where as the tascam is a "mixer-style" control surface/audio interface. You can't use the tascam without a computer. Pretty much anything you do with the tascam is going to be in the box. Look at what you need tho, do you need all the midi i/o that the tascam offer, do you need to be able to use the mixer stand alone without a computer, do you have outboard efx that you want to use? Both are good at what they do, neither is a complete POS, you just have to look at the features and see what best suits u. If i say fck that, get the n12, are you gonna do it? Especially if you only have 1 mic and a cd player to hook up? Don't let something silly like cool lookin motorized faders sway you if it won't benefit you at all. Print out the specs for both and X out and check mark what you do and don't want in a mixer, in the end, the one with the most check marks should be your choice.
LevLove
dam i give great advice! LOL
LevLove

I have a tascam 1082 and I love it.
Got a Yamaha n12 and I love it more...lol!

And Morning_Star is right... don't waste your money. Get a interface and a good pre... and if you need a surface controller... try something compact. CC121 by Steinberg if you are a Cubase user.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back