tapes

S

shaharv

im using my HiFi as an amp for my turntables and mixer and using its tape deck to record my mixes.
my Q is what r all those types of tapes mean?
iv seen chrom, metal, high bias, no bias etc. so i dont know what tapes to buy.
also they have a real wide range of prices, one brand gives u 3 tape for 3$ and the other brand gives u only one tape of same features for the same money, so what brands do u buy?

I've got all this schitt written down at home (I used to know it!), I'll check there and let you know what I find out. I seem to remember using chrome tapes, but I burn everything to cd now.

KasioRoks

OK the stuff I found wasn't that informative but I'll give it to you anyway.

Basically Metal (high bias) tapes are best, then chrome (high bias) then ferric (normal). The better quality tapes with higher bias give better signal to noise performance. I would hazard a guess that the metal and chrome tape use oxide particles that produce better results (I have no idea why iron oxide would be better than chromium oxide, but I'm sure that's what it must be, possibly they are smaller, so you can get more detail...or they respond more readily to magnetic fields...man I'm really struggling now)

Bias is based around sending an inaudible high pitched frequency (the bias frequency, natch) with the audio signal being fed to the record head. This frequency magically helps the oxide particles on the tape align themselves in the correct way according to the field generated by the recording head.

If this has helped you in anyway I'll be both surprised & happy. Maybe RobinH can help out, he knows everything.

KasioRoks.

Back