Super Secret MIXING/MASTERING Info!

so if like a bassriff is playing, when some other sound comes in which takes quite some space, lets say around 3-4 kHz, should I compress the bassrifff a bit more then to give the new sound it's room? or is it a matter of fixing both sounds in their suitable position (freq) so that they automatically fit and fill eachother in?

EQ, volume curve, compression - Whatever it needs to work.

Dvyce, excellent summary. Very well said.
The only thing I would add is to listen to a wide variety of music in your recording environment, not just your car stereo.... develop your ear to be accustomed the tools that you will be using for mixing/mastering. This will allow you to obtain an internal guage or a benchmark when you are listening to what the mix is telling you.

-miguel

Great post, i never actually read this one :cheers:

--"these are all things the audio will "tell" you it needs... and it is up to you to be able to hear what the audio is saying and it is up to you to know how to "answer it when it speaks."--

......and yall were lookin at me crazy when i posted "Do you Hear Voices When You Makin A Beat" aka find it if u want....crazy sh*t someone even said some e.v.p sh*t lol aight....im out 1

this is a good "philosophical" post, as you put it, but i must stick up for people asking for and giving general type advice.
"how do i make my bass sound good?"
"how do i eq drums?"
etc

lots of people on here are beginers or have been doing it a while, but are self taught and making it up as they go along.
general tips can't be taken as truth, but they can be guidelines, and some things to play around with. do what they say and see how it sounds.
it would be great if people gave such detailed feedback on posted tracks, but they don't. the most detailed responses tend to be on general kind of questions..

all in all though it is good to say that there is no one right way to do most of these things. just things that will get differnt sounds.

Good advice!

http://www.myspace.com/elite1productions

EliteAnnime.gif

yerah

I heer ya yo mane dats da truth i know wat u meen wit compressers and **** im usin FL STUDIO 6 and itz coo but i need da bot version cuz itz only a demo but i upload my own samples and all but yeah dats da truth right der

Astar said:
could you elaborate more on mixing/mastering techniques.. what do you mean, "do what the music is telling you to do" .. what are some of the identifying factors?

To be honest mate if you realy need to ask that question maybe you dont belong behinde a set of decks but what the man means is, If the music has a long steady beat - Then chop it up or scrach (The world is your oyster), But if the Record/Cd/Mp3 file you are spining has the same or similar instruments then blend them into each other - When listening to your Record's/Cd's/Mp3's think witch one other one of my collection will fit perfectly into it, If you cant tell witch tune needs to be played next then maybe your collection isnt wide spead enough. So go hunting for that fantastic next tune. I hope it makes sence and isnt to late.

dj mark neil said:
To be honest mate if you realy need to ask that question maybe you dont belong behinde a set of decks but what the man means is, If the music has a long steady beat - Then chop it up or scrach (The world is your oyster), But if the Record/Cd/Mp3 file you are spining has the same or similar instruments then blend them into each other - When listening to your Record's/Cd's/Mp3's think witch one other one of my collection will fit perfectly into it, If you cant tell witch tune needs to be played next then maybe your collection isnt wide spead enough. So go hunting for that fantastic next tune. I hope it makes sence and isnt to late.

Hi mark,

Actually this whole thread is about writing, producing and recording music and the process of "mixing" the individual elements together to create a quality song and the process of "mastering" the final mix.

...nothing to do with DJ "mixing"

...same word

...totally different meaning

:)

Anyone have any good book suggestions on audio theory/ audio chain/ mixing/ frequencies etc? Tryin to glean some knowledge and I figured that would be a good place to start...

TonyWiz said:
Anyone have any good book suggestions on audio theory/ audio chain/ mixing/ frequencies etc? Tryin to glean some knowledge and I figured that would be a good place to start...

listen to you music, if chains sound wrong on eachother, carefully adjust your eq and cut your eq, rather than have prominent peaks (unless u want some oc) listen very carefully during eq, try to find the frequency that fits the sound best, and make sure the others have a right frequency as wel, then listen to their play together, if u still feel things don't feel right, u should look at your panning, make sure everything is wel-balanced and has its own space to play in, same goes for frequencies while eq'ing, if u have a stereo plugin or option, also keep stereo separation in mind for the main sounds/leads and loud basses always go mono with a less stereo sep as possible.

greez

MASSIVE Mastering said:
There is no such thing as a headphone made for mastering. Or mixing for that matter. You can not hear phase relationships in a mix while wearing headphones. It's not possible, period. Depth perception and phase is dependent on the SAME sounds reaching BOTH ears at different times. Same with the low end - Isn't going to happen with your ears covered.

Checking on headphones - Sure. Tweaking expanders and fades - Go for it.

But making critical EQ, level, spacial or modulation adjustments... Maybe not.

And if it was even possible, it wouldn't be $300...
Fraid you're a bit wrong there,there're some VERY good headphones used for mixing and mastering and they wont cost you anywhere over $300,perfect example is listen to some of Eminem's beats,he made half of them whilst on tour(and here's the doozy)WITHOUT monitors.
Same situation with 9th Wonder,same situation with that P$C producer,when you hear their tracks on radio you cant tell whether they use monitors or not.
Monitors are indeed important,but you -can- make excellent quality music without them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay... Without sounding condescending, I'm really not impressed if someone can throw together some backing tracks from samples while wearing headphones. Not a really big trick there.

You can bet that the final mixes weren't performed with headphones -

You can certainly bet that they weren't mastered with headphones.

When someone creates a set of headphones where you can hear stereo phase relationships with accurate low end representation, I'll concede.

But seeing as it's physically impossible, I stand by my previous post.

^^ Very tru, DualShock...do you really think they actually MIX and MASTERED those tracks with just headphones??? "Beat making" (which is what they did), mixing, and mastering all 3 different processes.

You can make a beat anywhere, but the mix and master was probably done at a proper facility, not like those guys don't have the budget for it.

Dualshockin said:
Fraid you're a bit wrong there,there're some VERY good headphones used for mixing and mastering and they wont cost you anywhere over $300,perfect example is listen to some of Eminem's beats,he made half of them whilst on tour(and here's the doozy)WITHOUT monitors.
Same situation with 9th Wonder,same situation with that P$C producer,when you hear their tracks on radio you cant tell whether they use monitors or not.
Monitors are indeed important,but you -can- make excellent quality music without them.

the beats eminem makes on his tour bus are not the finished products you hear on the record.

"making a beat" is not the same as "mixing a final product"

I guarantee you he is not coming off his tour and handing over a set of songs he made on his bus using his laptop and headphones to a CD manufacturer and calling it a day.

making/recording the parts of a song is just one part of the process of making a record.

thejay said:
in which order r plugins supposed 2 follow each other? e.g - e.q. then reverb then compressor etc? how does a producer decide which 2 do 1st?

First off, well put dvyce. I agree completely. A strong understanding of how various signal processors work as well as general audio knoiwledge and experience is a prerequisite for being able to accomplish good mixes/masters.

The info is out there you just have to take the time to find it and learn.

As far as plugin order goes, vairous plugin chains will produce various results. For instance: Putting a compressor after an E.Q will tend to emphasize the EQing you have done. Many people often follow the "telephone" EQ sound with a compressor to "emphasize" that effect.

However, a single band compressor will attenuate(turn down) at the threshold that it is set at, so if you have boosted strongly @ 10k for instance, your compressor may be keyeing off of that frequency beacause that frequency may be approaching the threshold before other frequencies. This can be desirable or undesireable depending on the goal.

As far as compressors coming before reverbs and delays: A compressor sent before a reverb/delay will send that reverb the signal coming out of the compressor which may be (probably is) more balanced dynamically and therefore may produce a more "balanced" reverb across various transients/audio on that track.

For instance if you have a vocal track that goes from quiet to loud at times, you may notice less "percieved effect" on the quieter parts, or perhaps the loud parts will sound like they have too much reverb, Putting a comppressor in front of your reverb plugin may aid in this situation.

When putting compressors after reverbs/delays, you need to take into account what a compressor is. An automatic volume knob. Some may look at this as an automatic attenuator that turns down the level when a set threshold is reached. It can also be looked at as something that "turns up" the quiet parts. Being that reveb tails and decaying delays are gradually "quieter" signals, The compressor placed after the reverb/delay can be used to automatically "turn up" the tails/decays, therefore emphasizing the tail of the effect by balancing the tail with initial signal.

OK that was my first post, sorry i know its an old thread but it's the first one I read.

Back