SUB bass questions

neurodaddy

Hello fellows, I really want to get to understand the sub bass part of the mix better..

Whats the typically lowest frq that the sub bass can go.
..(song examples are welcomed) I used to think that I must cut everything below 30 Hz, but some mixes get lower than that. Also, is it a good idea to focus on those very low areas, since they can be heard only by people with big subwoofers while those with lower diameter speakers might perceive the mix as too trebly...

Also, does an 18 " speaker cover all the frq which must be taken into account when mixing?

Hello fellows, I really want to get to understand the sub bass part of the mix better..

Whats the typically lowest frq that the sub bass can go.
..(song examples are welcomed) I used to think that I must cut everything below 30 Hz, but some mixes get lower than that.

5/6/7 string basses go down to the B=30.87Hz, pianos and organs can go down to A=27.5Hz and some Bosendorfers go down to a G=24.5Hz

Limit of human hearing is 20Hz though this diminishes with age or damage

Also, is it a good idea to focus on those very low areas, since they can be heard only by people with big subwoofers while those with lower diameter speakers might perceive the mix as too trebly...

Mixing is about you balancing everything - if your mix is perceived to be too trebly when played back on smaller systems it is because it was too trebly to begin with - i.e. you should be checking your mixes on a range of speaker and headphone systems to ensure that the mix is what you expect it to be in situation - I personally have six systems that I can switch between to check my mix balances as I go

Also, does an 18 " speaker cover all the frq which must be taken into account when mixing?

difficult question to answer as you have not defined the box the speaker will be in and what it's operating parameters (Thiele-Small parameters) and resonant freqs will be, however, assuming the box is properly designed and the resonant freq is below where you will normally be trying to listen to, no - it will give you some nice lows, and some of the lower low mids. If you you are going to use this as part of an array of speakers, fine, otherwise consider a set of separately amplified speakers covering each range (L/LM/HM/H)

Last edited:
I usually take out everything under 20Hz because like bandcoach said - limit of human hearing... but there is still some energy under 20Hz that will be used in the mix if you don't take it out, so less space to mix.

Back