stupid question ... (maybe)

• Thread starter dj incinereight
  • Start date
D

dj incinereight

Well, I have what may be a stupid question but, I want to sell my own mix CD's from my website but I am concerned about getting nailed for copywrighted material from the vinyl I use. Is this even an issue, could I get sued?

-peace

dj incinereight

It Depends...

It's always an issue, but I think it depends on how much you've sampled and if the samples can be recognized. It's always a better to avoid sampling if the samples can be recognized easily as someone else's. I know for a fact that plenty of well known dj's and composers often sample other artist. The key is to do so in a manner that uses the sample in a subtle manner so as not to draw attention to it. It's as if it's there, but you really don't hear it. The bottom line is if it's copyrighted, then it's not yours to use.

[Edited by DIGITUS on 04-10-2001 at 06:31 AM]

he's not talking about sampling. He's talking about playing records in a DJ set (i think). The answer is yea U could get done. I don't know much about it tho. I wanted to do it myself.

I've seen some DJ's put on their cd's "For Promotional Purpose only" and then have some contact info. I always assumed this kind of got them off the hook legally for the question your asking.

Wait A Minute.

Opps... Sorry about misunderstanding your question. It was late and I was tired when I responded. Anyhoo... Wait a minute. I have tons of cd's by dj's selling their own mixed compilations. I'm sure they did not get in touch with every single company to get copyright permission. I've heard that as long as the mixing is complex enough then the dj is selling his skills and not the music per se... My heart tells me it's more complicated than that, so I would check around and maybe even find a music lawyer and ask him or her. There has to be a way to do it because so many other dj's are doing it. By the way, let me know... I might be interested in doing the same... lol. I guess this is why I'm really into composing my own music because eventually I'll have enough songs to produce my own compilation. Damn the man... Fight the Power...

Strive for INDEPENDANCE for that's where the real $$$$ is...

[Edited by DIGITUS on 04-11-2001 at 07:27 AM]

Back