Studio Monitors (beginner)

technogeek4000

Hello,

I just got some Studio Monitors. They have a setting on the backs of them with a switch for Flat, -2db and -4db. Do i mix a song with the Monitors set to flat? Does it depend on the genre or mix I'm creating? I did some tests and -2db does make me hear the bass more but -4b just cuts the bass out and them in flat mode makes it sound like some of the song I'm mixing is muffled.

Basically when do I set the monitors to what setting?

Thanks,

B

I would go with flat because it will let you make any speakers that listeners have shine with your mix, if it sounds muffled, it's your mix and/or master.

Hello,

I just got some Studio Monitors. They have a setting on the backs of them with a switch for Flat, -2db and -4db. Do i mix a song with the Monitors set to flat? Does it depend on the genre or mix I'm creating? I did some tests and -2db does make me hear the bass more but -4b just cuts the bass out and them in flat mode makes it sound like some of the song I'm mixing is muffled.

Basically when do I set the monitors to what setting?

Thanks,

B

-2 gives you MORE bass?? and -4 gives you less?? Something doesn't seem right...

What is the switch actually labeled? What does the manual say the switch does?

Sometimes, monitors have a switch to control bass level depending on the position of the monitors:

Full-space: monitors are not near any walls or corners - monitors are usually either flat, or they put out more bass with switch in this position.
Half-space: monitors are against a wall (the wall will cause the bass to be "louder"), so you may be able to reduce bass response with a switch if your monitors have it.
Quarter-space: monitors are against two walls (the walls will cause the bass to seem even louder!) - May need to reduce bass more.
Eighth-space: monitors are in corners (against 3 walls) - bass will seem VERY loud - may need to reduce bass drastically

The only way to know the correct setting, is to measure your room with a measurement microphone - usually by running noise through the system and analyzing the results... If you're not familiar with how to do this, or you're working on a low budget setup, just use your ears - pick maybe your 10 favorite songs by some of your favorite bands... choose the position and switch settings where ALL 10 of the songs sound pretty good. Don't just go for the one that gives you the hugest bass on one track... You want to find the position and settings where ALL of the songs sound good ideally - to get a good "averaging" for your listening environment. Best of luck to you... with some experimentation and effort, you should be able to figure it out and get things sounding pretty decent (depending on the monitors and room of course).

Last edited:
Roland DS-90A
Great audio cables
Great power cords (AudioQuest NRG-X3, for example)
No foams
Contact one great acoustics professional
Be happy :)

Of course there are many different factors that come into play when discussing the quality in sound.

Typically as a producer I prefer to use FLAT settings so that I can hear all frequency bands as evenly as possible without any boosts to the highs or lows.

Of course there are many different factors that come into play when discussing the quality in sound.

Typically as a producer I prefer to use FLAT settings so that I can hear all frequency bands as evenly as possible without any boosts to the highs or lows.

But of course rooms - especially untreated ones - tend to make your otherwise theoretically flat-sounding speakers very...non-flat by the time to sound reaches your ears. These kind of bass cut switches are meant to compensate for those inaccuracies introduced by the room, not to act as some kind of funky creative EQ.

Having actually problems each time I change a living place. Such an annoying stuff... some advice on quick eq balancing tips with totally new room (place) please?

I would always use the flat settings to avoid any extra disturbing sounds. Off course the quality of the sound also depends on the quality of the speakers and the room where you are listening. But as a beginner I wouldn't worry to much about the room.
Flat settings are the best way to hear what exactly you are doing ;).
Good luck!

Back