Studio Monitors

dbrook2010

How does the Adam A5x compare to the KRK Rokit 5 G3?

Are the Adam A7x too large for a smallish home studio room?

L x W x H
3m 70cm (370cm)
3m 45cm (345cm)
2m 30cm (230cm)

Would I not get enough bass ear information on the Adam A5x?

How do the Adam A5x compare to the Presonus Eris E5?

And how do these compare to the Eve Audios?

Any help appreciated.

As your question is specific to a few monitors I'll try to answer it.
Also, check this topic https://www.futureproducers.com/for...coustics/looking-home-studio-speakers-532823/ some monitor questions get's answered in there as well.

A small room is hard to control. Corners and walls are close to the speaker which makes it hard to control reflection.
Smaller speakers don't give a proper bass representation. The smaller the speaker, the more artificial the bass is fabricated through technical tricks and the build of the speaker. You have a few good ones but it won't be 'true' .

The KRK Rokit have that problem. It's a nice Hifi speaker but it's not for production. There are better contenders in that price range.

The Adams are ok'ish. Expensive. I use to drool over them until I went to the shop, listened a whole bunch of them and found the Focal Alphas.

You will get bass from a 5 inch speaker but as I said, the bass will be under represented and falsely represented.

I didn't like the eris e5 much. Adam is better then imo. I do like the presonus sceptre. But still, and as you can read in the other topic, IMO, the focal alphas outperform anything under 2000 buck per monitor speaker.

Eve audio were imo also nice. Still, focal beats it.

Apart from a monitor being good or not, it's also down to personal preference. There's only one solution for tackling that and that's going to a store that has a lot of em and listen to them. Or , a shop with a proper return policy.

Reflection in a room becomes more apparent on higher volumes. Don't get me wrong, bass frequencies will have problems on lower volume pretty quickly, but as long as you can create a sweet spot where you can hear stuff without reflection, you're good. Screw your housemates or neighbours if they're gonna be bouncing up and down on the couch watching desperate housewives while your working on conquering the world :D
But seriously, you need to treat that room.
Look at some studio rescue clips https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=studio+rescue and doctor out on where you need to treat.
If you do choose to go bigger woofer for better bass representation, you need to treat. Bass traps and other stuff as well.
I wouldn't put a subwoofer in such a small room. I'd probably go for 8 inch and work my ass off in treatment and tweaking to make it work and don't pump the volume too much. Safer would be to go a little bit smaller . 7 inch, 6,5 inch? Less true bass though. As I said, I'm a focal alpha 80 fan boy, 8 inch woofer, proper bass representation.
It's gonna be tricky in such a small room, but not impossible.
Also, go by ear when you eventually set up everything.
And last but not least, you don't need loud volumes to be able to make a proper mix. You need to train your ears. On lower volumes, battling the reflections are easier.

Also, as a foot note, there's ppl producing on desktop computer speakers of 20 bucks a piece and selling beats like crazy. There's also ppl on the streets with two sticks earning 200 bucks a day. Gear facilitates but doesn't provide talent. Also, a lot of gear can confuse.

Last edited:
How does the Adam A5x compare to the KRK Rokit 5 G3?

Are the Adam A7x too large for a smallish home studio room?

L x W x H
3m 70cm (370cm)
3m 45cm (345cm)
2m 30cm (230cm)

Would I not get enough bass ear information on the Adam A5x?

How do the Adam A5x compare to the Presonus Eris E5?

And how do these compare to the Eve Audios?

Any help appreciated.
Where I made my audio courses, they have a F5 or F7, I don't know now, but they're really amazing!

Last edited:
Back